PDA

View Full Version : So ...... where do I stick my gong then?

Raz
04-24-2004, 05:06 AM
In my quest to fit an OBC I have just bought a gong which is apparently needed to make the OBC work (I just get a PPPP message at the moment).
Trouble is, I don't know where to connect it ! :D Will someone please enlighten me?

JR'Z 525
04-24-2004, 07:33 AM
This happened recently at one of the local lakes on the NE GA/W SC border...OOOPS!

http://www.independentmail.com/and/news/article/0,1886,AND_8203_2815479,00.html

This is the rest of the story:
"Check out this boat wreck that happened on Hartwell the other day. It is a 38 foot Fountain. The owner had it for about a week and has not made the first payment on the 375,000 dollar pricetag. He was going 80 mph made a sharp turn, it threw him and his passenger out of the boat. He did not have his kill switch on, so it steady accelerated until it hit the bank, went airborne and split on this tree. Pretty Awesome."

Have three good pics but they are too big and can't post them
JR

JR'Z 525
04-24-2004, 07:40 AM
That's what I get for doing this with 2 kids in the room with me!
JR

MicahO
04-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Same problem here - wife's been away all night.....

SamB
04-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Well on my 89' 535i it is on the lower steering wheel cover - the black one above the pedals. If you look at it there should be a grated hole near the outer heater outlet, has two plugs going into it with approx 4 wires per plug.

Hope that helps!

Raz
04-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Cheers SamB - I was beginning to think I had entered a parallel universe :D

George M
04-26-2004, 01:18 PM
never stick your gong in a sharp hole...will start again ;)
The gongs on these cars are LOUD. You will need a plastic retaining clip to secure your gong in the hole cut out in the driver side upper peddle box facia/barrier. Will save you the trouble and give you a better strategy. Drop the lower facia down and you should see the coonector harness for the gong. You must remove the carpet sliver on the trans tunnel via one screw for access to the r.h. upper peddle box facia....another tip. Don't put the gong through the hole and use the stock retaining clip. Instead purchase some velcrow and cover the face of the gong with one side of the velcrow. Place the other half of the velcrow strips on the top of the peddle box facia adjacent to the hole designed for the gong. Stick the gong to the top of the peddle facia with the connectors attached (of course) and then reinstall the upper peddle facia.
The gong will now be just the right volume...not too loud...not so soft so you can hear it in the event of a system failure...just right.
HTH,
George

Raz
04-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Wow! That really was detailed advice there George!

Just one little detail though - is your driver's side on the left or right? :D (I'm in the UK)

George M
04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
hehe...good point Raj. My driver side is on the left..presume yours is on the right :-)
Believe abpve should still apply as most facets of RHD cars are symmetrically opposite to LHD cars.
HTH,
George

Raz
04-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Heh heh ..... the reason I asked is that I just spent a very entertaining hour in a very undignified position (head stuck up under the dash with legs wrapped around the headrest) All I found was a bunch of dried leaves jammed in the heater duct :D

So I would say that the passenger (left) side is good bet now :p

George M
04-26-2004, 03:38 PM
no...would say you need to look a bit deeper on "your driver side" i.e. the right hand side of the car. The wire harness for the gauge cluster including the connector for the gong I would say would be above the peddle facia embedded in the literal maze of wires you see running under the cluster. Look hard for a small 4 way connector right at the boundary if not tucked up into the cluster bundle. Key off where the whole is in the peddle facia...looks like a 2 inch round hole with a rectangle cut out through the sides of the hole. Don't think you will find this connector under the glove box side of your car.
HTH,
George

Raz
04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Awwww ... and I've just put it all back together again now ...... in the dark :( .... Ah well , there's always tomorrow I suppose ;)

Dan in NZ
04-27-2004, 01:21 AM
I'm right hand drive, and my gong speaker is underneath the steering column, as someone else said it's behind a holed grill not too far from the peddles. I don't know if your car would have the grill as it didn'thave the gong to begin with, but the connector should be there... if you have one...