PDA

View Full Version : How much can I expect to spend? (exhaust)

ILoveMPower
01-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Ok so I've already ordered my magnaflow and tips, I called up a local shop that specializes in mini-trucks, but I've heard they do great exhaust work. So I tell the guy I'm retaining stock cats and whatnot and I'm just lookin for some stainless to the muffler and the tips welded on nicely... $625 he ****ing quotes me. Then he says "oh its due to the high price of the tubing." So I asked how much if I dont go with stainless... "you'll probably save $100"

What the **** is wrong here? I was expecting to pay like less than $150... am I just crazy? I haven't called any other places yet, havent had the time but I'm curious what some of you guys might have paid for similar work (e34 or non)

Thanks

bimmerd00d
01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
On my 540i, I spent $850 on a completely new setup from the headers back....including new cats. T-304 Stainless too. Looks like you should find another shop.

ruftek
01-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok so I've already ordered my magnaflow and tips, I called up a local shop that specializes in mini-trucks, but I've heard they do great exhaust work. So I tell the guy I'm retaining stock cats and whatnot and I'm just lookin for some stainless to the muffler and the tips welded on nicely... $625 he ****ing quotes me. Then he says "oh its due to the high price of the tubing." So I asked how much if I dont go with stainless... "you'll probably save $100"

What the **** is wrong here? I was expecting to pay like less than $150... am I just crazy? I haven't called any other places yet, havent had the time but I'm curious what some of you guys might have paid for similar work (e34 or non)

Thanks

For $625 you could buy a full Remus out of the box exhaust. That shop is ripping you off. Expect to pay about $200 to $300 for a quality install on the labor for the magnaflow. Call this place just to get an idea on price. Lou's Custom Exhaust located in Peabody MA.

steve0suprem0
01-10-2007, 05:06 PM
yeah, that's outrageous. i paid 150 when i redid the exhaust on the scirocco (i know, i know) at midas. same situation. didn't go stainless, tho

BillionPa
01-10-2007, 05:30 PM
did he break down the labor costs vs parts costs?

shelbyz4u2nv
01-10-2007, 06:01 PM
wow..i paid $150 for a full header back exhaust to the stock muffler..had him delete both cats and the resonators, although its not stainless...and yes it is illegal but his boss doesnt know that he went to the shop for me on a sunday now does he?...now all i need is a decent muffler...i would deff look for another shop they are RIPPING you a new one!

RallyD
01-10-2007, 06:45 PM
it all depends on the quality.
Here on LI, you could go to Kooks Custom and spend $650
You'd get the best exhaust you've ever seen.

That being said, all you are going to see is the tips so find another shop.
Stainless has gone up in price welding materials for it are also expensive. Running the dual pipes is twice as much work too.

When there are many 'off the shelf' choices, why go custom unless it's going to be really custom. But you already have the muff/tips so I would say it should cost between $200-$400 for stainless piping.

What's wrong with the existing piping? Can you just cut out the existing mufflers and weld in sections? That might save even more money.

You see, muffler douche sees the roundel and in his eyes it looks like $$
doesn't matter if it is a 15+year old car or not. Besides, minitrucks are uber gay and I wouldn't let anyone who works on those turds near my 5

ILoveMPower
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
The exhaust is too rusted to try and reuse. Which comes first on my exhaust, the car or resonator? I'm going to retain both of those stock and just run new pipe to the muffler

RallyD
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
The cat is closest to the engine.
Are you planning on deleting the 1st muffler and replacing the 2nd with the magnaflow?

I did something similar on my GTI vr6, it was nice and mellow until you laid into it, then it got mighty rowdy.

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 12:17 AM
The cat is closest to the engine.
Are you planning on deleting the 1st muffler and replacing the 2nd with the magnaflow?

I did something similar on my GTI vr6, it was nice and mellow until you laid into it, then it got mighty rowdy.

No I'm retaining the stock resonator (first muffler) and replacing the muffler at the ass end with a magnaflow. Hopefully it will be nice and quiet in the cabin but have a nice growl when I get into it.