PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering under acceleration

choccibicci
01-10-2007, 08:46 AM
My '93 540 has an intermittant shudder, especially when accelerating fast.
Seems to be located at the front as it can be felt through the steering wheel. With the pedal almost on the floor earlier, the shudder appeared at about 50 mph. It was like a wheel was coming off!
As I eased off, it subsided and then stopped, and didn't happen again after that (although I wasn't going to push it again!).

The same thing happened a few nights back, but this time at cruising speed. Again it stopped, and didnt happen again that night.

No unusual noises from wheels, although today there was a faint squeaking noise which appeared to subside after a short time.

Likely causes?!

TIA

mzarifkar
01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Could be your transmission if its automatic...

632 Regal
01-10-2007, 01:46 PM
bad guibo or center shaft bushing.

granit_silber
01-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I know this will sound stupid, but have you had your balance checked?

I ask because I had a funky shimmy that happened at different highway speeds in different daytime temps and in all of kinds of driving situations. The shimmy came through the steering wheel sometimes and the pedals the other times. I was afraid that I needed to re-do my front end a little earlier than I wanted to. I took the car to my indy and $10 my tires were rebalancing and it's been smooth sailing.

-ashley

632 Regal
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
true, without detail and knowing if the front end is tight like it should be, kinda sounds like the front end shimmy.

I know this will sound stupid, but have you had your balance checked?

I ask because I had a funky shimmy that happened at different highway speeds in different daytime temps and in all of kinds of driving situations. The shimmy came through the steering wheel sometimes and the pedals the other times. I was afraid that I needed to re-do my front end a little earlier than I wanted to. I took the car to my indy and $10 my tires were rebalancing and it's been smooth sailing.

-ashley