PDA

View Full Version : Flickering lights

ScottyWM
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Searching about the problem, it looks like I have an LKM issue, but thought I'd ask for any suggestions too.

Drove my daughter's '93 318is tonight for the first time in a long time. All the outside lights are flickering. Doesn't matter if the car is moving or not, or if the high beams are on or not. Both the front and rear lights are flickering. Doesn't seem like the inside lights are flickering. Doesn't seem to be battery or alternator - as high revs don't affect the condition. No other electrical problems are apparent.

Sound like the LKM to you guys? If so, anybody got a good one to sell?

shogun
01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Even if the interior lights are not flickering, check the voltage of the alternator.
I have also seen a defective light switch. Maybe you remove the switch and check that switch.

ScottyWM
01-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks, looks like this doesn't even have the LKM - oh well, shows what I know. Had a chance to look a little closer today. The lights are steady (no flickering) with the engine off. Lights only flicker with engine running. External and internal lights flicker the same. Voltage at battery when not running is good, right at about 12.5. With engine running, it is around 15, but does also fluctuate with the flickering. This has me pretty well convinced it is the alternator/regulator. I can replace this, if I can find one. But it looks like there are may types - Valeo or Bosch, 90 or 105 amp. I don't know what I should have in it. It looks original, but I can not read the label, the writing on it just smeared right off when I wiped it.

Help! Does it really matter which I get?

shogun
01-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Check on the back of the regulator, there is also the maker written, if it is still the original one. Because Hella regulators fit also on Bosch alternators.
To get regulators for Valeo might be more difficult.
Check at www.rockauto.com they have reman ones and you get a refund when you send the core back.
I have not seen a valeo alternator, but assume that the shape and fixing points should be same.

bill g
01-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Also check the earth lead from engine to body if you have not yet done so - make sure you have bare metal contact, clean and tight.

Bill G

ScottyWM
01-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Just to finish the thread out... replaced the alternator last week - problem gone. Figure it must have been the internal voltage regulator.

Turned out to have the Valeo alternator. Autozone had a replacement, around $160 w/ core.