PDA

View Full Version : My LH turn signal now has the "Fast Blinkies."

Warren N.CA
01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I have searched the archives, and learned that this might be caused by one or more bad bulbs, bad flasher relay, or bad connections in the system.

The event was precipitated by my receipt of the PARKING LIGHT warning, in the check control display. I replaced the burned out bulb with a 7528 from Kragen. Then it started to flash at hyperspeed only on the left side.

Next I replaced both front and rear turn signal bulbs, with new ones from my BMW repair facility. This cured the problem... for about ten minutes, then back to fast blinkie.

I then replaced the fuses and took out the flasher relay, cleaned the plug-ins, and replaced it. No effect.

I'm wondering if there could be a bad ground connection someplace. Or should I get a new flasher relay?

Any thoughts?

RE: 1989 535i 211K

thanks!

scott 4991
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I am no expert, but I would replace the flasher relay first. There use to be a small 'can' you would 1/4 twist out, and replace, when this happened on older cars. Not for sure how it works now, but way back when, the flasher circuit consisted of a capacitor and a resistor, the R/C network created a charge / discharge circuit, which make the light blink. I have to think this has been far improved since this 'olden time' but I'll place my bet on the flasher relay.

sc

winfred
01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
most likely a bad connection by the light socket on one end or the other, if you fail to get it on the rear try playing with the front