PDA

View Full Version : ESS supercharger for 540i

andyman32
04-23-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking about trying to put together the cash for an ESS supercharger. I already know that in order to reap the benefits of 410+ hp, I'll need bigger wheels & brakes... which adds a few grand to the operation.

1) Any suggestions for good places to find BMW wheels for relatively inexpensive? Has anyone had any experience with aaarims.com?

2) Is there anything else I should need to upgrade under the hood at the same time as the supercharger?

Thanks!

Brandon H.
04-23-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking about trying to put together the cash for an ESS supercharger. I already know that in order to reap the benefits of 410+ hp, I'll need bigger wheels & brakes... which adds a few grand to the operation.

1) Any suggestions for good places to find BMW wheels for relatively inexpensive? Has anyone had any experience with aaarims.com?

2) Is there anything else I should need to upgrade under the hood at the same time as the supercharger?

Thanks!

Under the hood, yes. Usually the kit comes with bigger injectors, maybe a fuel pump and pressure regulator. Also new software for it. I would be more worried about your transmission, if it's an automatic. If it's a manual, lightweight flywheel and HD clutch. I am a bit more careful about power on my car b/c now that i've toasted a transmission, and also found out the car is driven entirely by rubber. (yes the dual mass flywheels are connected by rubber) I am sure you can find a way to build up the automatic transmission to handle the extra power. Also have you installed better suspension yet? I would honestly make suspension, wheels, and maybe the 750/850i brakes for the front the first modification before the blower.

NickT
04-24-2004, 07:15 PM

Thanks!

Not to hock my wares, lol, but when/if you decide to go ahead with the ESS SC I carry them so give me a ring/email. I also own a 95 540i 6spd so we're kindred spirits too.;) I can also help with the brakes.

-Nick Talbot

www.bavariantuning.com

Here are the details of the kit:
1993-1995 540i 6PSI PD Supercharger Kit

The '93-'95 540i system is based upon a Powerdyne BD11AS main supercharger unit which gives exceptional power gains, with civilized everyday driveability.The system maintains all diagnostic functions and is 49 State Emissions Legal. It is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The system installs in 10-12 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

410HP (6PSI)
CNC ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY
8 LARGER BOSCH INJECTORS
NEW ECU CHIP
RECALIBRATED MAF
POWERDYNE CENTRIFUGAL SUPERCHARGER w/ESS upgraded internal components.
CNC HARD ANODIZED DUAL BRACKETS AND HARDWARE
K+N FILTER
DISCHARGE AND INTAKE ASSEMBLIES
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
LONG-LIFE SERPENTINE DRIVE BELT
OIL BREATHER ASSEMBLY DESIGNED FOR BOOST
CNC MACHINED, ANODIZED FAN SPACER
100% MAINTENANCE FREE OPERATION
2YR./UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY

Tiger
04-24-2004, 10:06 PM
How much does this cost?

Tiger
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
5HP30 tranny are very robust... even the V12 BMW engine uses this tranny... not to mention Rolls Royce too that has 500HP engine.

andyman32
04-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Ya think so? It would be serious sh!t on a sh!ngle if I spent $5k (retail cost of supercharger) then burned out a transmission a few weeks later.

Nick - thanks for letting me know. If/when I do this, I'll give you a call. Unfortunately, my tranny is the 5HP30... auto. :-\ I'm almost thinking I might keep this one as my DD, then get another 540 w/ a manual as a track/project car.

Anyhow, I've been convinced to work on other things first... sport suspension, bigger wheels, bigger front brakes. Oh and I need something else for this project... MONEY!!! Thus far my horticultural project (money tree) has been unsuccessful. :)

5HP30 tranny are very robust... even the V12 BMW engine uses this tranny... not to mention Rolls Royce too that has 500HP engine.

Tiger
04-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Ask around... you will find out why BMW used 5HP30 tranny... I think it is the strongest tranny from ZF at that time.

tim s
04-25-2004, 08:52 AM
he told me the 5hp30 was overkill in the 540i/a. it's like having the allison tranny in a truck. this tranny was used in:
austin martin DB7 ( 5.9 liters, V12, 420 hp, 400 ft-lbs. )
Bentley Arnage (6.8 liters, V8, 400 hp, 619 ft-lbs)
Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph (5.4 liters, V12, 322 hp, 361 ft-lbs)

i got the car list from a 5hp30 pdf from zf's web site & i got the car specs from edmunds.com .

tim s.

535ise
04-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Do you do a s/c kit for the M30 535 ?

What type of s/c is it ?

Cheer's

Andrew

Bill R.
04-25-2004, 04:45 PM
the boost if using that....

Tiger
04-25-2004, 04:52 PM
so I guess he has 15HP margin before hitting the maximum...

NickT
04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
How much does this cost?

Retail is $5,995, but I should be able to knock some off the price for E34ers.

NickT
04-26-2004, 01:56 AM
Unfortunately, no.

andyman32
04-26-2004, 06:03 AM
the boost if using that....

Bill - if/when I get around to doing this, the ESS supercharger kit is supposed to increase output to 410hp, and that's assuming that the motor is still 100%. On a 10-year-old car with 95k miles on it, I've probably already lost a few. So I would still have a reasonable margin, 15-20hp.

It's not looking like it's going to happen so soon, though... the wife isn't too keen on turning this car into a track car right now. The fuel economy is already bad enough. Fuel economy with the SC... *shudder*. I might have to wait a while longer, untill I can afford a 2nd E34 as a DD (probably a 525), then start tuning the 540. I found a few on Autotrader that looked promising for < $6k.

bahnstormer
04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
watch out though, u mentioned this is your daily driver
an acquaintance of mine did ess and they took well over
3 weeks to get his ecu back after he sent it

NickT
04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
watch out though, u mentioned this is your daily driver
an acquaintance of mine did ess and they took well over
3 weeks to get his ecu back after he sent it

That's odd. With their current system it's usually a 48 hour 2-way overnight process.

bahnstormer
04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
current meaning? u send it today?
he bought his approx 4-6 months ago

kevm5
04-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Andy,

email me off line. I am also in the progress of getting a EES charger.

NickT
04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
current meaning? u send it today?
he bought his approx 4-6 months ago

Well, what happens is ESS sends you a special FedEx package with special instructions, which you send back overnight and then turn around time should be 24 hours with again express delivery. Last customer I sold a system to that is how it works. But obviously depending on how busy they are or if someone is lagging it could change. However, due to heightened security measures international shipping times have been inconsistent lately.

stevie s
05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Sorry to butt in guys, I run a 530i, with 740 engine and trans (5hp30), 535 diff (3.6) and an ess supercharger running 3.6" pulley (smaller than the 410bhp kit) my cars curently making 440 bhp and the 5hp30 box has no trouble at all.. I would confidently run more power through it

only thing I find is that the lag on gearchanges is nasty! though I suspect this is caused by the dme retarding the engine at shift point.. (unless anyone here knows different!)

Jon K
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Stevie jesus you bumped a thread from 4 years ago!