PDA

View Full Version : 10 hours for starter removal? OMG!

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Does it really take 10 hours to remove the starter from my 1991 525i? I have been having trouble with turning the key and getting a "whiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr - thunk" sound. After a couple of keys it always starts.

Until now. All I get is click. Sound seems to be coming from the solenoid. I am about to replace my starter, and while looking through the threads for a procedure (or the location), I am reading that it takes 4-10 hours to replace it and you need two people?

Is there a procedure out there? Does it really take all day? Man, I gotta get back on the road and this is really catching me off guard.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Ross
01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't take your advice from anyone who says 2 men and 8-10 hrs. to change a starter.
Get a Bentley manual and follow the procedure, it's not hard at all.

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Ordering my Bentley right now

whiskychaser
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Ordering my Bentley right now

Would be thinking about some inlet manifold gaskets and female torx sockets too:)

bimmerd00d
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
IT's a bitch and a half to do from teh top. Find a lift and a super long extension, do it from underneath. It's a one man job, with some patience and alcohol. I had mine replaced on my old M50tu and the guy did it in an hour. $153 including the price of the reman'd starter.

winfred
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
it's not all that bad on a m50 in a 5 series, you can do it without pulling the intake, unlike a 3 series where you do need to pull the intake (which only takes me 15-20 minutes to get off and out of the way) you can use a 6 point 10mm in place of the e12 torx and the nuts are 16mm, i've been known to lock the bolts with a wrench and take the nuts off from the top

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
what is wiskeychaser talking about? I see the starter now, and got WINFREDs suggestions (thanks!), but I don't know what the

inlet manifold gaskets and the female torx sockets

are for. I couldn't find a Bentley, Chilton, or Haynes in my town (Gainesville, FL home of those awesome Florida Gators!). So I am underneath figuring it out.

wish I had a procedure. It'll just take a little more effort thats all.

I see under the intake manifold and above the steering linkage. Just gotta figure out how to effectively get to it, and where the bolts are.

ryan roopnarine
01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
where do you live in gainesville?

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I live on NW 16th Ave, by main street. Go Gators

ryan roopnarine
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I live on NW 16th Ave, by main street. Go Gators

if you'd like i can photocopy the relevant pages from bentley and stick them on your door. pm your address if you are interested.

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 02:27 PM
if you'd like i can photocopy the relevant pages from bentley and stick them on your door. pm your address if you are interested.

if you are in the area, I would definitly appreciate it. Without a doubt. THANKS!

229 NW 16th Ave (by main street)

(It's the one with the awesome white bimmer on blocks.)

632 Regal
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
do you really want to leave your address on a public forum? your crazier than I am.
if you are in the area, I would definitly appreciate it. Without a doubt. THANKS!

229 NW 16th Ave (by main street)

(It's the one with the awesome white bimmer on blocks.)

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I live with 3 other crazy 19-28 year olds who would love the chance to defend their house.

We have so many lurks that come around from day to day that I think we would be hold off a pretty good force with the firepower in this house.

just sayin. Thanks for the comment though. Makes a lot of sense to someone who lives alone.

under my car I go. With a 16mm, some torx bits and hope.

oharab
01-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I've just had it done on my M60. To quote my mechanic (who did it on his own), he had an "interesting" selection of extensions to reach the bolts from underneath!
Good luck!

B.

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I got the ones off from the drivers side underneath. one 17mm nut with bolt, one 17mm from the front of the starter, one 13mm came off that also ran a connector for something else.

Now comes the hard part. I need to get to other side (passenger side) of the starter without knowing the nut sizes, and without being able to visualize the location.

This is where the bentley would be NICE>.

All the while I am hoping that it IS my starter that has gone bad. The one in there is 15 years old, I have been having trouble starting, I have a BRAND NEW battery, the fuel pump is working, and I just get a "click". No turn over.

whiskychaser
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM
what is wiskeychaser talking about? I see the starter now, and got WINFREDs suggestions (thanks!), but I don't know what the

inlet manifold gaskets and the female torx sockets

are for. I couldn't find a Bentley, Chilton, or Haynes in my town (Gainesville, FL home of those awesome Florida Gators!). So I am underneath figuring it out.

wish I had a procedure. It'll just take a little more effort thats all.

I see under the intake manifold and above the steering linkage. Just gotta figure out how to effectively get to it, and where the bolts are.

I would agree with Oharab who said his mechanic had an "interesting" selection of extensions to reach the bolts from underneath. I would just add that there are nuts on the end of the bolts. :)

ryan roopnarine
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
i'll be there in an hour or so, i can't get access to a photocopier, so i'll have to do something else for you....if you are there when i get there, i'll explain, if not, i'll leave a note with the parcel.

Mitch90535im
01-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Can't speak for the 525, but the starter on an m30 is a bitch to get to. Fortuntely the wifey has small hands and it only took her about 30 minutes start to finish with me supervising and providing moral support.

ericbendler
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
wow. My girlfriend would just give me an interesting look if I told to do that.

Something like "Don't you know starters install themselves? That's why their called starters. Duu?

Kalevera
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
The only BMW starter job worth crying about is M70/S70/M73. That could legitimately take 8 hours, as the lower halves of the RH downpipes have to come out.

Ross
01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Don't leave that woman unattended ever!

Ross
01-09-2007, 06:46 PM
If the battery is is up and you are getting a good solid "click" the solenoid might be the only problem. You still need to remove the starter to change it.

whiskychaser
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Its gone very quiet. Did you sort it in under 10 hours without 2 men? I think we should be told :)