PDA

View Full Version : Slightly terrifying starting issue (M30)

J.DeFeo
01-09-2007, 11:01 AM
This morning it was about 50 degrees in my garage, and I try to start my car. I turn the key and the engine cranks, only it never reaches idle and just shuts back off. "Ok," I think "This has happened before, no problem, just give it some gas."

So I did just that, and it became very obvious that one of the cylinders wasn't firing. The engine shook the whole car and still refused to idle if I let off the throttle. Eventually I just held it at idle with the throttle and the cylinder started firing and all was well. It's been running perfectly smooth since then, but still, that experience worries me. What could be the cause of that? I had driven it pretty hard the night before, would that matter at all?

Ross
01-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Sound like it was flooded. If it continues check your injectors for keakage. An injector could be dribbling all the fuel remaining in the rail into a cylinder after you shut it off. This also washes the oil from the cyl., not good either.

632 Regal
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree with Ross, if it happens again try holding the peddle to the floor, that stops any more fuel from dumping into the cylinders.

Sound like it was flooded. If it continues check your injectors for keakage. An injector could be dribbling all the fuel remaining in the rail into a cylinder after you shut it off. This also washes the oil from the cyl., not good either.

J.DeFeo
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
I agree with Ross, if it happens again try holding the peddle to the floor, that stops any more fuel from dumping into the cylinders.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this solves the problem every time it happens. Does this confirm a leaking fuel injector? If not, is there a way to confirm it before I buy a new injector?

632 Regal
03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
you want to replace ALL the injectors as a set. This is the cheapest I have seen injectors.
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsBMW.asp