PDA

View Full Version : It feels like it's going to fall apart.

angrypancake
01-09-2007, 03:35 AM
So it figures. I have a kid that's gonna buy my car, he flakes, and all kinds of **** breaks so now I can't put it back on the market yet. The other night it was really cold, went to open the window and theres a huge crash bang that freaked me out, wtf and now the window wont go up or down. Awesome.

Anyways!

So I'm driving the car every day and it's running amazing. All of a sudden after a 200 mile trip averaging ~95mph with no problems, right before home there's this ridiculous vibration coming from what feels like the pass. rear wheel area. Not so much as a vibration but literally an earthquake. The whole car audibly shakes and a person standing outside can hear metal on metal (or so my mom said). I haven't driven it, except to move it around in the driveway. When you put it in gear (auto trans) there is a hesitation and then a loud thunk/bang. Same for reverse. It will drive, but once I get above 10mph the shake/rattle/roll is too bad to drive the car. Needless to say it's not going anywhere which sucks cause I need to sell it.

So, gurus, any ideas as to what it could be? Specs are 11/88 build date 535i, auto trans, just rolled over 140,000 miles. Regular maintenence on trans with fluids and such, no slippage or signs of failure before. I'm thinking something along the lines of driveshaft or dif? Tomorrow I'm thinking of swapping in the LSD from my parts car and tossing the open dif thats currently on the 535 anyways.

colo525i
01-09-2007, 03:45 AM
I'd be looking along the driveshaft too, maybe a shredded guibo or center bearing failure? That sure sounds scary to have happen, i've had a driveshaft drop right out of a jeep pickup on I-70...

angrypancake
01-09-2007, 03:53 AM
I forgot to mention it sounds like the dif is starting to whine too. Before all the craziness, if I was cruising at highway speed (which is usually between 85 - 100, I love traffic flow around here) if I let off the throttle there was a really loud howl from that general vicinity. By loud I mean I could hear it over the music which is usually really loud. But then again I knew it was there so methinks I would imagine it to be louder than it really was/is.

Incantation
01-09-2007, 04:41 AM
it's pretty obvious that the car doesn't want u to sell it

Incantation
01-09-2007, 04:45 AM
oh yea and it sounds like u either need a new motor or regulator in your window.. it's easy to fix. pm me if u wanna know how

Bill R.
01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
guibo so you can rule that out. I'd guess its the center bearing on the driveshaft. But since you say you feel it on one rear side only ,if its not the center bearing then its probable the axle half shaft cv's on one side.

I'd be looking along the driveshaft too, maybe a shredded guibo or center bearing failure? That sure sounds scary to have happen, i've had a driveshaft drop right out of a jeep pickup on I-70...

Alexlind123
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
guibo so you can rule that out. I'd guess its the center bearing on the driveshaft. But since you say you feel it on one rear side only ,if its not the center bearing then its probable the axle half shaft cv's on one side.

Is the guibo the flexible rubber thingy behind the transmission? If so, then 535iAs do have guibos.

Bill R.
01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
worked on have had one, and none in the etk listings for the 535 automatic from 88 to 92 indicates that it will take a driveshaft with a guibo.
Maybe you have a relabeled 525 instead of a 535

Is the guibo the flexible rubber thingy behind the transmission? If so, then 535iAs do have guibos.

angrypancake
01-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Bill,

would that cause the whine at highway speeds when off throttle? Thanks.

Bill R.
01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Not likely, its far more likely to be wear on the ring and pinion gears and bearings. I've had pretty good luck quieting it down on my old 635 with redline gear oil for the diff. It seemed to help quite a bit but it didn't get rid of it completely. My trusty previa which is getting close to 250k miles on it is starting to whine some too in the diff. I put redline shock proof in it but it didn't seem to help it at all. I may try a different redline oil in it instead.

Bill,

would that cause the whine at highway speeds when off throttle? Thanks.

Panda
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
"So I'm driving the car every day and it's running amazing. All of a sudden after a 200 mile trip averaging ~95mph with no problems, right before home there's this ridiculous vibration coming from what feels like the pass. rear wheel area. Not so much as a vibration but literally an earthquake. The whole car audibly shakes and a person standing outside can hear metal on metal (or so my mom said)."

I've got a very similar story.

Had a 130 mile run to do today for a meeting so decided to give the old girl a blast, everything was fine for a while. Started with lots of vibration coming through the gearstick (only in 3rd and 5th though?) That seemed to settle down when the car got warm. Had fluid check/top up 2 months ago on box and diff so didn't suspect low levels

The vibration through the gaearstick stopped, systems normal. Until the earthquake from the nearside rear wheel started. Limped home and got the car jacked up, the suspected wheel bearings seem ok and cannot replicate the fault with the rear wheels in the air and putting the car in gear. So it's under load that the problems start. Now starting to think it's a CV joint failure.

So I'm asking the same question:

"So, gurus, any ideas as to what it could be? Specs are 11/88 build date 535i, auto trans, just rolled over 140,000 miles. Regular maintenence on trans with fluids and such, no slippage or signs of failure before. I'm thinking something along the lines of driveshaft or dif? Tomorrow I'm thinking of swapping in the LSD from my parts car and tossing the open dif thats currently on the 535 anyways."

Mine's a similar spec, first registered in 08/88 130k miles but a manual box and a LSD. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

One day I will bring something positive to this forum rather deperate pleas for help. Promise....

justinp95
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I forgot to mention it sounds like the dif is starting to whine too. Before all the craziness, if I was cruising at highway speed (which is usually between 85 - 100, I love traffic flow around here) if I let off the throttle there was a really loud howl from that general vicinity. By loud I mean I could hear it over the music which is usually really loud. But then again I knew it was there so methinks I would imagine it to be louder than it really was/is.

Mine makes a grinding type noise when i let off the throttle and when you going really slow it makes a sound like a card in a bike wheel and makes a quieter noise when in nuetral. maybe we have the same problem? But not shakeing or anything.

bsell
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Mine makes a grinding type noise when i let off the throttle and when you going really slow it makes a sound like a card in a bike wheel and makes a quieter noise when in nuetral. maybe we have the same problem? But not shakeing or anything.

Take a look at the axle shafts' cv joints, as in take them down and have a feel of them. While you are on your back and dirty, manually turn the drive shaft (in neutral with the engine off) and see what you feel. Keep a hand on the diff while you slowly turn the drive shaft and see if you can feel the card in the spokes thingy. You may have to get out your long screwdriver to stick on the diff body and press your ear to the handle end to listen to the diff while a buddy turns it over. You would be amazed at what you can hear through this setup, just be carefull sticking long things into mechanical gizzmos!

Remember, it is a process of elimination. Work methodically and you will find the culprit.

Podmore
02-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I would say it's the CV joint in the half-shaft. The bang on shifting into gear is caused by the slack in the joint being taken up. Probably lost one of the big ball bearings. Jack up the side the noise seems to be coming from, and with the trans in Park (handbrake off), try to move the wheel. If it is the CV, you'll soon know it.

SnakeyesTx
02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it almost sounds like you had a tooth break off the ring gear. Only one way to find out :/ I had my trans in my truck shift like that and the noises, and slight bucking. Took the diff cover off, and 4 teeth fell out.

ILoveMPower
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Methinks several of you need to replace your guibo

especially:

Panda
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Fixed!!!

Got the car back at the weekend. The prop shaft was reconditioned and the centre bearing replaced. All for £250, which I thought was reasonable.

Have E34 back.

Happy.

:D