PDA

View Full Version : HELP 911, 540 owners with E.A.T Chip!!!

Keith
04-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Help guys, I just got my chip and was installing it, when I hit a snag.
I printed the, "How to install chip" from Bruno's website and when I got to "assure that the tab/notch on the chip you are installing is in at the same end as the stock chip was", that threw me.
That means Marks chip would be upside down. (according to how the label was installed possibly)
Is that right, we're are talking about "very" small tab/notch, if that's right, then great, I'm just not sure, I DO NOT want to fry something, so I'm sure if the chip was put in backwards then that would cause a major problem, right?

Need help ASAP, before the BOSS gets home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Keith (gettin' ready to E.A.T. them alive!)

632 Regal
04-23-2004, 07:15 PM
just orient the chips notch in the same direction, if its backwards it will not start. I dont think it will fry anything if in backwards just wont start and an annoyance cause you have to do it again. Good Luck!

Keith
04-23-2004, 11:32 PM
just orient the chips notch in the same direction, if its backwards it will not start. I dont think it will fry anything if in backwards just wont start and an annoyance cause you have to do it again. Good Luck!

Thanks Jeff, I got it, I was just freakin' out a little!
If I get my seats back in tomorrow, I will take her out for spin.

Keith

MarkD
04-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks Jeff, I got it, I was just freakin' out a little!
If I get my seats back in tomorrow, I will take her out for spin.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I know you installed the chip already, but I'll point out a few things in case you or anyone else needs a few pointers in the future.

1) The label on my chips is oriented just like the OEM one, so when you read the label from left to right, the notch would be on the left end of the chip.

2) installing a chip backwards is bad and can easily damage it. Some EPROMS's will be damaged as soon as you try to start the motor, and even if you reverse it, it won't work as they will be destroyed.

So always look for the notch on one end of the chip, and align it the same way. Even if you forget to look at the orientation of the stock chip, the socket has a corresponding notch so it's easy to figure out which way to insert the chip.

Mark

Keith
04-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Keith,

I know you installed the chip already, but I'll point out a few things in case you or anyone else needs a few pointers in the future.

1) The label on my chips is oriented just like the OEM one, so when you read the label from left to right, the notch would be on the left end of the chip.

2) installing a chip backwards is bad and can easily damage it. Some EPROMS's will be damaged as soon as you try to start the motor, and even if you reverse it, it won't work as they will be destroyed.

So always look for the notch on one end of the chip, and align it the same way. Even if you forget to look at the orientation of the stock chip, the socket has a corresponding notch so it's easy to figure out which way to insert the chip.

Mark

Ok, now you've got me freaked out again!
When holding "your" chip in my hand yeterday,the from notch is on the right.
When looking at the "stock" chip (while still mounted) the notch is on the right.
So, that's how I put it in, "your" chip in, with the notch on the right, BUT you read your label upside down.

So, it seems that the "notch" is what's important, not your label???

It's in the car now and I've started it 2 or 3 times and it seems to be fine, can I take it out for a drive, or am I looking for trouble?

Mark, can you pm me you # so I can explain this better over the phone?

Keith

MarkD
04-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok, now you've got me freaked out again!
When holding "your" chip in my hand yeterday,the from notch is on the right.
When looking at the "stock" chip (while still mounted) the notch is on the right.
So, that's how I put it in, "your" chip in, with the notch on the right, BUT you read your label upside down.

So, it seems that the "notch" is what's important, not your label???

It's in the car now and I've started it 2 or 3 times and it seems to be fine, can I take it out for a drive, or am I looking for trouble?

Mark, can you pm me you # so I can explain this better over the phone?

Keith

Hi Keith,

my number is on on the contacts page of my website . If your car is starting, the chip is in the correct way. There is no way it will start if it is backwards. I am quite careful to make sure the label is applied correctly. I also cut one corner of the label to indicate pin 1, and the end where the notch is. Maybe the label was applied backwards on yours but it's very unlikely. If you have a digital camera and feel like opening the DME again, please send a picture of the chip. But if it's trouble, don't worry.

Mark