PDA

View Full Version : Well dudes, i'm back. E34ized again

bimmerd00d
01-08-2007, 05:21 PM
1990 525i 5-spd. Black/Tan, Big pile of crap right now to be honest....but it has a straight body and new brakes/suspension. The motor has issues, any of you M20 guys have some insight? All I have experience with is the M50 and M62.

Initial problems i've found so far are this.

* Upon startup, it takes a LOT of cranking to get it going
* Once running, while code the idle bounces up and down
* When trying to drive it, it jerks its way through first and some of 2nd gear...like i'm tapping the gas pedal.
* When moving, all seems well, it just doens't have a whole hell of a lot of power.

First things i plan on checking:
* Air leaks (intake boot, vacuum, etc)
* AFM (unplug and see if it improves)
* Coolant Time Switch
* Throttle Position Sensor (no idea how to check this, searching)
* Idle Control Valve (could cause nasty idle, but doesn't explain rough start through 1st gear)
* See if the cap and rotor have any cracks or anything, and bad plug wires.

Brandon J
01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Talk about downgrading. Well, Congrats. Looks like a decentdaily driver and money pit :p . Well, you could always turbo it.

bimmerd00d
01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Talk about downgrading. Well, Congrats. Looks like a decentdaily driver and money pit :p . Well, you could always turbo it.

The license plate will be ELSJUAN, that tell you much? :p

CharlesAFerg
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
The license plate will be ELSJUAN, that tell you much? :p

lol!
MAKE SURE to check and see if you need a new throttle body, that was a problem with me, I had the idle problem and even that weird slow-fast-slow-fast thing. But the speed thing could be unrelated, but the idle problem dissapeared when I replaced my throttle body.
best luck to you

Gayle
01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
d00d Welcome back!:)

An e34 that needs work is just entertainment.

bimmerd00d
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
lol!
MAKE SURE to check and see if you need a new throttle body, that was a problem with me, I had the idle problem and even that weird slow-fast-slow-fast thing. But the speed thing could be unrelated, but the idle problem dissapeared when I replaced my throttle body.
best luck to you

I got her home just now. The problem was a cracked intake boot. It was completely cracked in half....nothing a little duct tape couldn't fix. Oh, it also has a completely failed head gasket hahahahah. It was blowing LOTS of white smoke as i entered my apt complex. Looks like tomorrow morning i'll be moving it to it's final parking spot until I can pull the head and whatnot. This will be my first head gasket job! SO, if you guys have any pointers for me, throw them out. I'll be following Bruno's guide for the most part.

Paul in NZ
01-09-2007, 03:13 AM
still got the e39?Welcome Back!

632 Regal
01-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Went shopping for you.

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/keg/keg07.jpg

bimmerd00d
01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
still got the e39?Welcome Back!

Sure do, 540 is still teh primary driver. The e34 was bought off a friend for less than a brand new Ipod. It needs a motor rebuild or replacement. I decided that i want to throw in an LS1 and a T56. Can't beat a motor that makes ~330hp and weighs slightly less than the M20 :D