PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old E34's?

scott 4991
01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I see a few postings about owners parting out their cars - and if they do this, then what? what do you do with the shell of the car / the chassis? The parts you don't sell?

Isn't it better to sell or donate the car?

I'd be interested in thoughts on this process.

Thanks

sc

repenttokyo
01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
you scrap it. at least, that's what i do after I have stripped off all the useful parts.

RallyD
01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I've got a place about 10 miles from my home. You give them the title, they weigh the shell, Pay you accordingly and crush it to recycle the metal.
There are services that will come and pick up the car with a tow truck but they certainly don't pay you and sometimes require payment for the service. Then they take your car to same metal recycler (scrapper).

Parting out a car is not for everyone. When the car starts to look real bad and neighbors micht get irritated. Usually i'll strip it down, fill my garage with the parts, haul off the shell, then peddle the parts.

Not a fan of donating cars. It can possibly throw up a flag to get you audited.

E34-520iSE
01-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Parting out a car is not for everyone. When the car starts to look real bad and neighbors micht get irritated. Usually i'll strip it down, fill my garage with the parts, haul off the shell, then peddle the parts.

That's exactly what I do. Luckily I have a long driveway up to then round to the side of my house. It's easy enough for me to rip a car apart without any nosy neighbours complaining. Then when I'm done I give the shell & the registration document to a scrap man who collects it free of charge.

HTH,

Shaun M