PDA

View Full Version : E39 523i Estate Boot glass problem

beast
01-08-2007, 09:02 AM
A month ago the boot glass it the rear opened as I was driving. I stopped and closed it and nothing else happpend.

As time has gone on the boot keeps opening more and more. When the boot is closed and the central locking is on the boot stays closed.

Is it the switch on the wiper arm or is it the boot catch malfunctioning.

Thanks Simon.

Omega
01-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Sounds like the electric locking mechanism isn't...... (locking). The lock is tied up with the wiper arm assembly on the boot.

It couls also be the glass release button on the wiper arm shorting out, releasing the lock especially if it gets wet. As the glass remains locked when the car is centrally-locked I would think that the switch rather than the lock is knackared.

Strange one. Hope you find the cause and post the result on here.

brick8
01-08-2007, 11:57 AM
As a temporary fix, you could remove the glass struts. At least that way, it won't pop open while driving.

Omega
01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
As a temporary fix, you could remove the glass struts. At least that way, it won't pop open while driving.

Or nail it down at the corners......:D

Removing the struts wouldn't stop it opening if the car is in motion as the wind will get under the seal and with no struts to stop it, it may be launched down the road when you brake.

Personally I'd try and fix it PDQ, however keep centrally locking it when on the move until you have found the cause.