PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I think I broke my car...

ILoveMPower
01-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, lets just say I'm ****ing retarded, and I feel like an *******.

After having too many drinks last night, I was driving to go get some food from Arbys. I went to pass a jeep, and wound out 3rd gear pretty good, then as my friend said it, I "banged 4th without a rubber." I'm not sure exactly what I did, if I just didnt have the clutch in enough when I tried to jam it into gear, but it started making a LOUD rattling sound.

I pulled over, thinking I had just fried my clutch or smoked 4th gear or something, but the car still went into gear and drove fine, somewhat...

When I'm driving along in say, 3rd gear for example, and the RPMs are at about 2.5, just cruising, the shifter will be vibrating just a bit more than normal. But as soon as I let off the throttle, it "bucks" (for lack of a better term) before the engine begins to compression brake and then the shifter starts rattling and shaking rather violently. If I hold the shifter firmly, it stops rattling loud, but I can still feel the violent shaking.

I have no clue exactly what the hell I did, any help is much appreciated. The clutch still seems the same as far as taking off on a hill and whatnot, I'm not sure if its the guibo or something perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
- Jeremy

BFEINZIMER
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Every time I've eaten Arby's I've gotten sick...FYI.

Dave M
01-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I think you'd be very lucky to have simply shot you're guibo or center bearing. The loud rattling sound may have been the tranny spitting out some bits. Either way, you'll need to get under it, get it running with someing in it shifting through the gears and try and determine the source. Just pray its not the tranny. Who knows, maybe you broke a linkage component.

You already feel stupid about the drinking, so we won't go there. If its expensive enough, maybe you'll abstain the next time you need a grease fix.

Good Luck,

Dave M

ILoveMPower
01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I have driven it a decent distance, about 50 miles since it happened.

If it was the tranny I dont think it would still be movable... it seems to have no problem moving other than the rattle in the shifter

I obviously dont want to drive it as is, but I also didnt want it to be stranded at my friends house 50 miles from my home. Took my chances and I'm pretty confident I didnt do any more damage by driving it, although it definitely doesnt seem right

Dave M
01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I have driven it a decent distance, about 50 miles since it happened.

If it was the tranny I dont think it would still be movable... it seems to have no problem moving other than the rattle in the shifter

I obviously dont want to drive it as is, but I also didnt want it to be stranded at my friends house 50 miles from my home. Took my chances and I'm pretty confident I didnt do any more damage by driving it, although it definitely doesnt seem right

So it works fine in 4th gear? Hmmmm, if it is the guibo or center bearing, you'll be able to see or feel the tranny shaking when you get under it. The only way to transfer vibes from these areas to he linkage and shifter is via the tranny (see pic/photo below). If the tranny itself is not shaking due to a guibo or center bearing etc., I'd be suspecting the tranny inerds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/ETK.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/linkage_intact_X.jpg

ILoveMPower
01-07-2007, 03:27 PM
It pulls totally fine in 4th, and at idle theres no noticable difference whatsoever. The vibration increases with vehicle speed, and engine speed as well. For example 3000 rpms is much louder in 4th gear then 3rd, and so forth.
I'm thinking it could be shift linkage related like its barely holding itself in gear or something.

Bill R.
01-07-2007, 04:10 PM
your guibo is coming aparts and pieces of it are hitting the shifter linkage.

It pulls totally fine in 4th, and at idle theres no noticable difference whatsoever. The vibration increases with vehicle speed, and engine speed as well. For example 3000 rpms is much louder in 4th gear then 3rd, and so forth.
I'm thinking it could be shift linkage related like its barely holding itself in gear or something.

ILoveMPower
01-07-2007, 04:41 PM
where is the guibo located in comparison to the pic above?

my buddy thats going for the BMW step program is about to swing by and take a look with me

Dave M
01-07-2007, 04:54 PM
The guibo attaches to the tranny output flange (the thingy with blue paint at right-most of photo). It (guibo) joins the output flange to the driveshaft. Bill could very well be right (as usual). If your guibo was on its way out, the bad shift may have torn it up and caused a portion to hit the linkage.
If I recal, you can just see the guibo beyond the end of the exhaust heatshield, at least on my 525.

Dave M

Milkboot
01-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Atleast you have Arby's :( Snakeyes and I have to drive almost into downtown houston to find the last one we know of :(

Milkboot
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
When Snakeyes' guibo *giggle* went out, it sounded like he ran over somthing nasty, started to smack the bottome of the car around and made some very very ugly noises before it stoped somewhat, but around a certin RPM range he would hear part of the thread in the rubber holding the guibo together and some rubber still attached getting flung out by centrifical [sp] force and had some weird vibrations too

BFEINZIMER
01-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Atleast you have Arby's :( Snakeyes and I have to drive almost into downtown houston to find the last one we know of :(

God read the 1st reply. Arbys is the devil haha

ILoveMPower
01-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Yeah guys its the guibo, checked it out the thing is shredded up pretty good.

Gonna replace the center bearing as well, anything else I should order?

Jon K
01-08-2007, 03:01 AM

A breathalizer - don't be stupid

angrypancake
01-08-2007, 04:37 AM
A breathalizer - don't be stupid

lol he already feels bad about the drinking thing.

do auto trans cars have a guibo?

billy
01-08-2007, 04:51 AM
perhaps you should give the car away to someone more responsible

drinking and driving kills

angrypancake
01-08-2007, 05:13 AM
....and it begins.

Alexlind123
01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
....and it begins.

Sadly, it probably needs to be done :(

ILoveMPower
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
You guys seem to think I was wasted here...

I had 2 beers prior to driving, not a 30 rack

632 Regal
01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
nevermind them guys, they cant hold their alcohol.
You guys seem to think I was wasted here...

I had 2 beers prior to driving, not a 30 rack

angrypancake
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
do auto trans cars have a guibo? if so i think mine is ****ed.

mzarifkar
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
do auto trans cars have a guibo? if so i think mine is ****ed.

yes they do

Dave M
01-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Regarding your question,

-purchase new exhaust hangers

-inspect your copper colored rear muffler hangers (both the bolt and the muffler carrier thingy-you'll figure it out) as they corrode badly and can be a bit of a PITA to remove and even worse to re-instal if they are chewed. You'll need @6-8" extension and 13mm socket.

-If you're planning on fully removing the exhaust (recommend), get 6 new exhaust maifold lock nuts (may need a wobble head to remove them).

-BMW and Bentleys?? state that the 6 output flange / guibo / driveshaft nut/bolt combos should not be re-used. I've re-used them, only as I knew how little mileage they recieved. If you don't know, you may want to get new ones. Mark the alignment of the driveshaft to output as per Bentley.

-How are your driveshaft to diff nuts? Chewed/rusty? Might think about replacing them.

-Check your tranny mounts as its a good opportunity to replace them.

-Don't know if you have a stick, but its also a good time to address excess linkage play.

Anything else? Proabably :D

Dave M