PDA

View Full Version : "resurfaced" my flywheel, pics, input plz

Jon K
01-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some peoples input on the job I did.

I am too cheap :) to go take my flywheel to a machine shop - the only one that would do it was one that wanted $50 to just "look at it" and $100 - $150 to resurface it if they're machine can fit it. I didn't feel like wasting money - its a stock flywheel, so, I said EFF it and read around on other forums where people just hit it up themselves without issue.

BJL4776 said he could get it done but I don't want to send a 25 lb flywheel out and all- thanks tho man.

I just clamped the puppy to our work bench and hit it up for about 10 - 15 mins with a stainless steel wire cup brush on a 3000 rpm drill with varying pressure straight down on the surface to remove surface flash and grime. I then did light pressure for about 5 minutes around the surface moving inward and outward from the center. This gave it a nice clean and decently coarse surface. I then used 100 extra lumpy sand paper and went from outside to center back and forth, cross hatching some. The pictures are hard to show the results since the flash pics up some markings and not others, but you get the idea.

Nothing looked excessively worn, so:

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/flywheel1.jpg

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/flywheel2.jpg

Should do the job.

Dash01
01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
You may want to keep shopping for a better machinist: Local guy did a nice job on my Porsche, for $29, and took 0.006" off it.

Jon K
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
You may want to keep shopping for a better machinist: Local guy did a nice job on my Porsche, for $29, and took 0.006" off it.

No shopping - clutch goes in tomorrow. The problem is that not a lot of people want to try and machine a dual mass flywheel.

E34 530
01-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Dude, if you can wait until next week, I can get it machined for free at my job. (Work in a machine shop)

nizmainiac
01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
i always do mine with just 80 grit in a cross hatch , just like you have , and i've never had a problem with them , i don't even use a drill with a wire wheel

Jon K
01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Andrew but it is fine - I probably could have put the flywheel right in the car. Thanks though. I cannot wait. The surface is not that critical I've been told by local builders and said this would be more than fine.

Jon K
01-05-2007, 08:03 PM
i always do mine with just 80 grit in a cross hatch , just like you have , and i've never had a problem with them , i don't even use a drill with a wire wheel

Thanks man - I use the wheel to remove the flash and grime. People get too over-excited about the surfacing - this should do!

nizmainiac
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
its all good, i've done it that way for years

E34 530
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks Andrew but it is fine - I probably could have put the flywheel right in the car. Thanks though. I cannot wait. The surface is not that critical I've been told by local builders and said this would be more than fine.

You sure, my boss (who is also my next door neighbor/ owner of the shop) just did his flywheel last week and his company specializes in rotating equipment, impellers, and spinning veins. (I can get your supercharger back to its original condtion for free if I wanted to. How much did you want for it again? ;) )

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
just break the glaze like you did and it's good to go.

Jon K
01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah thats my feeling too - it should be good to go