PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and questions

tetsuo48
01-05-2007, 06:32 PM
hello all! I'm a returning board member. I owned an e34 525 a few years back and i absolutely loved it despite it being a lemon and damn near putting me in the poor house. I have since sold it and leased a new car which i never liked (scion tc) which was totalled recently. I'm now looking for another car in a price range that I could pay at once and only worry about insurance and the lure of the e34 is killing me. It's the only car in this price range that i would be happy with. The only thing stopping me is that I know the maintenance costs can get really pricey. I'm looking into a 94-95 540. What kinds of things should i look out for? on average how much in maintenance do other owners of this car pay in a year? what has been the most costly repair? and does anyone know a good mechanic (low cost, good service) in the so cal area?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know if we'll take you back.....we'll okay at least it wasn't an XB.

I'd go for a L6 over the V8 for ease of repair and all.

Just like the work space and simplicity of the L6

Paul in NZ
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
i dont want to be negative,but if you think a 525 was $$$ a 540 could be worse.However i beleive that a car that has been welled looked after will always be more reliable than those that have not.If you do proceed I truly beleive you need to get the absolute best car you can find