PDA

View Full Version : 525tds starting issue - Help!

dhcp
01-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi chaps,

Glad to be part of this community :)

Just bought a 96 plate (N) 525TDS

TBH its a sweet car but I have started to get a wierd problem

If I start the car with half tank or over half tank of fuel the car starts up on the 1st turn which is fantastic.

However, if say the tank is reaching 1/4 tank or below, the car just keeps turning over for about 10 - 15 secs before it starts. It also starts with a judder as if its desperate to get fuel into it.

Now I know sweet FA about engines and wondered have I bought myself a car that is goign to give me this problem forever or is it a simple fix?

Seems like the car just aint getting the fuel through when the tank is 1/4 full.

This is only on startup. It does not matter about time also, i can stop the car, and start it again be it, 5 mins or 5 hours, makes no difference.

regards

dhcp

billy
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
i would guess the fuel pump is on its way out or possibly a blocked filter

as another guess perhaps your gauge is inaccurate and when you think you have a 1/4 tank of fuel you actually dont

dhcp
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I have noticed when the car starts up, fuel indicator seems to be higher than when I switch off. Although it does drop back down after a few mins.

Are fuel pumps cheap to get? (If thats what it is).

billy
01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I have noticed when the car starts up, fuel indicator seems to be higher than when I switch off. Although it does drop back down after a few mins.

Are fuel pumps cheap to get? (If thats what it is).

i gave up trusting my gauge long ago - i use the range indicator on the OBC seems much more reliable!

you could check the output of the pump by checking the fuel pressure - perhaps get a garage to do this for you

perhaps others may have another suggestion?

CarloE34
01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Indeed Billy,The OBC is more reliable.But it coult be one or more injektors but more likely the fuelpump.Its a known fact with the TD and TDS.
Here in Belgium they cost around 250 euro.Expensive stuff.

Another thing with the diesel is that you have a big chance of blowing the cilinderhead of from 250000 km or more.

dan0235
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
hi there i'e had the same problem for a while now, did you notice if you park on a decline it seems to get better? the fuel runs back to the tank easier if on a incline,
anyway i fitted a priming bulb (the same ones outboard engines use) after the filter, if i turn the eng over for more than 2/3 secs and it dosen't start, pop the hood and squeeze the bulb until hard, should start after a couple of more turns
i also replaced the battery, after i killed the last one working this out

ps it makes priming the fuel filter after a change, a piece of cake