PDA

View Full Version : Check coolant message, how do you "top off" coolant

gmannino
01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I recieved a check message saying to check coolant. I dont have my bentley manual on me and I could not find any topics regarding filling up the radiator besides replacing all of the coolant. I know the cooling system is pressurized so there is a special process to add coolant.

How do I go about toping off my coolant in my car? I have the bleed screw on the thermostat and on my radiator. what method do you guys recommend when filling your radiator? Thanks.

markus
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
unscrew the cap on the resivior and add away. no bleeding required

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Kalt line when the motor is cold.

You can also bleed the radiator from the screw next to the filler cap.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/Coolant%20replacement.htm

gmannino
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
So adding coolant without unscrewing the bleeder screw on the radiator will be sufficent? I was under the impression that if you do that, air will get into the system causing overheating?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-04-2007, 10:04 PM
got.

If you got real low there may be air in the top of the rad...

you can fill it to Kalt and run for a while and check again to see if it went down.

gmannino
01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I dont think its that low, the check coolant only comes on sometimes, most the time its not on. it turns on after sitting for a few hours but after I start it up, the light goes away. I'll try topping it off.

Fetch
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I dont think its that low, the check coolant only comes on sometimes, most the time its not on. it turns on after sitting for a few hours but after I start it up, the light goes away. I'll try topping it off.

Check coolant won't come on while the engine is running, even if it's low, by the way

dennyg
01-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Mine was coming on from start up but it was just the sensor....is your coolant really low?.....senor on ebay for 18 bucks plus shipping

Rick L
01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
So adding coolant without unscrewing the bleeder screw on the radiator will be sufficent? I was under the impression that if you do that, air will get into the system causing overheating?

When cold, fill to the line in the tank (you see the longer line in the middle). You need to unscrew the bleeder ONLY if the expansion tank is empty... No need to bleed if you see coolant in the tank...

indymdm
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
have same problem even after i flushed the cooling system completely now getting ready to change sensor hopefully thats the only issue

yy101
01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Check coolant won't come on while the engine is running, even if it's low, by the way

Mine comes on when its running, but the car has to be stationary. It wont come on if its in motion.

yy101
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
When cold, fill to the line in the tank (you see the longer line in the middle). You need to unscrew the bleeder ONLY if the expansion tank is empty... No need to bleed if you see coolant in the tank...

I have ran my expansion tank down to empty a couple of times and all I did was just topped it up without unscrewing the bleeder, would that cause problem for me?

GoldenEagleFan
01-06-2007, 01:13 AM
It seems that the sensor is sensitive to small particles of contamination so if you have recently flushed or otherwise believe you have the correct fluid level but still get the indicator a long tipped screwdriver "very lightly" tapping on the sensor top which is located at the center of the fill area at the bottom of the resorvoir often gets rid of the low coolant sensor warning.