PDA

View Full Version : Any last minute advice before I do my clutch on saturday?

Jon K
01-04-2007, 02:03 AM
I have got my clutch, T/O bearing, new flywheel bolts, and a stock used flywheels ready to go. I am going to pick up a pilot bearing from the dealer and HOPEFULLY an alignment tool...we'll see if they have it.

Anything else people want to recommend - any tips or pointers?

TheEndIsNear
01-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Your doing the clutch at last, Jon...

Jon K
01-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Josh, I know. Hard being a student and all - I am looking forward to traction within the drivetrain :)

Paul in NZ
01-04-2007, 04:57 AM
so what is the clutch....ie its obviously not a std bmw 525 clutch is it?

Fetch
01-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Can you possibly take some good pictures of what is supposed to be viewed thru the window holes on the trans?...Also, it'd be cool if you were taking pictures of the whole job of course :)
I took some pics trying to see into the viewing windows on mine and couldn't really make out what I was looking at.

GoldenOne
01-04-2007, 08:42 AM
my advice is dont drop/break/fubar anything important...and just becareful in general

Jon K
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
so what is the clutch....ie its obviously not a std bmw 525 clutch is it?

Its a Clutch Net "Stage 5" setup - 6 puck ceramic clutch with a Racing Stage 2 pressure plate for 100% clamp over stock.

I probably won't be able to take pics just because I don't want to get my good camera dirty.

Bill R.
01-04-2007, 10:46 AM
wise to change the rear main seal at the same time.

I have got my clutch, T/O bearing, new flywheel bolts, and a stock used flywheels ready to go. I am going to pick up a pilot bearing from the dealer and HOPEFULLY an alignment tool...we'll see if they have it.

Anything else people want to recommend - any tips or pointers?

Jon K
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
wise to change the rear main seal at the same time.

Bill - I just went and grabbed my "lower block gasket/seal set" and it has the rear main seal - so I am replacing that. Easy to get the old one out?

I am somewhat worried about the clutch alignment tool though, I don't have one! People say its not necessary... but... I don't know. I scoured everywhere I know (zymunts, aka bimmerparts.com, thompson bmw, circle bmw, autozone, advanced auto, napa, etc) and no one has one that they can get within the week. ARgh!

Picking up pilot bearing today - kind of worried as to how I'll get the old one out.

filip00
01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
ceramic clutches are very good at resisting fading, important is to have the pressure plate - or, clutch basket - strong enough to hold it.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 11:01 AM
ceramic clutches are very good at resisting fading, important is to have the pressure plate - or, clutch basket - strong enough to hold it.

I've got the ceramic clutch and the stage 5 pressure plate. 100% clamping force over stock.

granit_silber
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Bill - I just went and grabbed my "lower block gasket/seal set" and it has the rear main seal - so I am replacing that. Easy to get the old one out?

I am somewhat worried about the clutch alignment tool though, I don't have one! People say its not necessary... but... I don't know. I scoured everywhere I know (zymunts, aka bimmerparts.com, thompson bmw, circle bmw, autozone, advanced auto, napa, etc) and no one has one that they can get within the week. ARgh!

Picking up pilot bearing today - kind of worried as to how I'll get the old one out.
Jon,

have you tried Koala? I don't know if Brett still rents tools, worth a look though.
-ashley

ryan roopnarine
01-04-2007, 11:35 AM

i don't know if it will work on a germanian car, but autozone will rent you a pilot bearing puller.
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/clutch/clutch.htm

otc tools makes an alignment tool, you can look and call here and see if any of their distributors closest to you has one in stock
http://www.otctools.com/distributors/index.php

Jon K
01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Jon,

have you tried Koala? I don't know if Brett still rents tools, worth a look though.
-ashley

Its like a $2.99 tool worth buying! Argh!

Bill R.
01-04-2007, 11:45 AM
your car, Motormite is in PA somewhere , if you do a little research on the internet you can find them and call them direct, maybe they are close to you.
You can get the motormite part number off the autozone site. Clutch alignment tool

Its like a $2.99 tool worth buying! Argh!

Jon K
01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
your car, Motormite is in PA somewhere , if you do a little research on the internet you can find them and call them direct, maybe they are close to you.
You can get the motormite part number off the autozone site. Clutch alignment tool

Yeah I saw that @ AUtozone - no luck finding Motormites # however. Called all the autozones in my area - they don't sell the tool seperately, only in a clutch kit. ****. I asked if the clutch kit is returnable, alluding to maybe using it to center my clutch and then bringing it back, and they said "no". Additionally they said they'd have to special order the clutch kit anyway, so I don't think it'd be here in time.

Bill - my E30 friend says that it is more than possible to simply line it up and hold it and have someone torque the PP down on it and it's fine. What do you say to that?

colo525i
01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Doesn't autozone or anyone else still sell the clutch alignment set with a bunch of different pilot bearing sized adaptors? Used one of these on my old benz 190 when i had to do the clutch on it, made everything a snap. It was just something they stocked on the shelf, not unique to the car.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Hrm - was it something you bought or rented? I am making runs to all sorts of car shops today I will look around.

ryan roopnarine
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
advance auto might have one as a rental, 'cause this is the same brand as their rentals

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=PBI&mfrpartnumber=648437&parttype=&ptset=

try using your zip code and see if it makes a difference, as i live in a small town. i don't know if they offer an overnight shipping option or even how much that would be, this browser is too old to do the 128 bit jazz for their checkout to see.

Bill R.
01-04-2007, 12:16 PM
HERE (https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/buyers_guide.w?sid=0x00498997&item=14541&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=&vsrch_brand=all&vsrch_cat=Clutch%20Components,Clutch%20Pilot%20Too ls&st_amount=0&end_amount=999999999.99&start=30&vfrom=&prev=yes&vnext=yes&category_list=1378:1328:0)

You should be able to call any number of auto parts stores for Dorman parts and find the motormite parts As far as lining it up and bolting the pressure plate on, it is possible but the odds are against it. I've done it before but i've also had cases where i couldn't get it to go in at all until i dropped the trans back down ,loosened the pressure plate again and attempted to line it up again, tighten pressure plate bolts ,raise the trans back into place and repeat this process over and over until its finally close enough to go in.

Its much easier to find a universal alignment tool, find a motormite specific tool, or even make some kind of a tool. If you know anybody with a bad trans like yours pull the input shaft out of it and use that, its the best alignment tool you can find.

Yeah I saw that @ AUtozone - no luck finding Motormites # however. Called all the autozones in my area - they don't sell the tool seperately, only in a clutch kit. ****. I asked if the clutch kit is returnable, alluding to maybe using it to center my clutch and then bringing it back, and they said "no". Additionally they said they'd have to special order the clutch kit anyway, so I don't think it'd be here in time.

Bill - my E30 friend says that it is more than possible to simply line it up and hold it and have someone torque the PP down on it and it's fine. What do you say to that?

Kalevera
01-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Its much easier to find a universal alignment tool, find a motormite specific tool, or even make some kind of a tool. If you know anybody with a bad trans like yours pull the input shaft out of it and use that, its the best alignment tool you can find.

That's what I was thinking -- universal tool or an input shaft from a bad trans. The thing is, if everything's not lined up, you'll know it when you try to put the trans back in the car. IT's a precise fit, but it shouldn't take much effort. And it is possible to eyeball the centering process and forget about the tool (done it). Make sure the trans is in gear (so you can rotate the tailshaft to line up the input shaft splines with the friction disk).

One other thing -- the hex bolts that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel seem to always strip. They can also be a pain to get out, so have a fresh key or a good bolt extractor kit. The old ones can be reused if they come out okay or with minimal damage, but I usually replace with new hardware.

I have pictures if you want them, but it's a pretty easy job. Nuts and bolts, as they say.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I am doing my clutch at a buddies fabrication/machine shop - if we have to, we're going a piece of round bar down, diameter matched to the new pilot bearing I got, and use that.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
That's what I was thinking -- universal tool or an input shaft from a bad trans. The thing is, if everything's not lined up, you'll know it when you try to put the trans back in the car. IT's a precise fit, but it shouldn't take much effort. And it is possible to eyeball the centering process and forget about the tool (done it). Make sure the trans is in gear (so you can rotate the tailshaft to line up the input shaft splines with the friction disk).

One other thing -- the hex bolts that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel seem to always strip. They can also be a pain to get out, so have a fresh key or a good bolt extractor kit. The old ones can be reused if they come out okay or with minimal damage, but I usually replace with new hardware.

I have pictures if you want them, but it's a pretty easy job. Nuts and bolts, as they say.

Thanks I just went today and picked up new hex bolts for the pressure plate.

bill g
01-05-2007, 03:32 AM
If the teeth in the clutch plate centre are exactly opposite each other (180 degrees) it is fairly simple to make an alignment tool with round bar or tube of suitable diameter to fit in the pilot bearing - cut slots in it and weld in a piece of flat bar projecting out of two sides to engage the cog in clutch plate. You only need the two 'teeth' to do the job. I used a tool like this for Ford 351 clutch - it worked no worries.

Bill G

Jon K
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Anyone know if a clutch alignment tool from an E30 325 (M20) would work? Obviously I just need to have the tool to line up, it has nothing really to do with installation otherwise - my buddy found his M20 clutch tool from long ago and hoping to use it. If not, we may turn a tool on the lathe... really want to avoid that - want to take her apart and get her back together.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
all it has to do is center/align the disc and pilot bearing before you tighten down the pressure plate.

I've used extensions with sockets slipped over, tappered dowels and even had to "eyeball" a few.

Good luck