PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Problems??

julielewis
01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown. I had to just get a wrecker to take me and the car home. Should I just buy a head gasket or should I buy a head gasket set? I am not too familiar with head gaskets at all.

///Sniper535
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown. I had to just get a wrecker to take me and the car home. Should I just buy a head gasket or should I buy a head gasket set? I am not too familiar with head gaskets at all.

It's probably best to buy the head gasket set at this point.

Hope you get your car running again.

E34-520iSE
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown.

I would get that cylinder head checked out before you spend any money replacing the headgasket. There could be a crack in it, making it junk.

HTH,

Shaun M