PDA

View Full Version : Spinning center caps?

thejapino
01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
I remember seeing someone posting a link to where I could find those spinning roundel center caps.

Actually they don't spin but they stay still while the car is moving. I've checked ebay but they don't have any and I also searched this forum?

Any help fellas? I'm trying to get them as a late christmas gift.

gale
01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
I remember that post. Here's a link:

http://www.bimmerspinner.co.uk/

(edit) Looks like they're discontinued. Maybe check Ebay-UK periodically.

632 Regal
01-03-2007, 04:49 AM
discontinued for a good cause, they didnt work.

Macv
01-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Great Idea though.

genphreak
01-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Great Idea though.I'd buya set if they lit up and spun on their own power.... (but only if the promised an extra 15HP)

... NOT! :D

attack eagle
01-03-2007, 09:32 AM
BLing Bling...
Got a rap video shoot coming up soon or something?

Nick.Hay
01-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I actually think they would be kinda cool...

Not outlandish, and attention grabbing... But interesting enough for someone with a keen eye.

Besides, if its standard issue on the current Rolls Royce, I think it has a little cred.

Alexlind123
01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Rolls already has it...

attack eagle
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Rolls are geared towards people who want to flaunt their wealth (read nuovo riche, rap/sports /enthertainment stars), not sophisticated and refined persons anymore.
At least IMHO.

Macv
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I just think its an awesome look. Watching semitruck wheels I've always thought those little meters were neat and how they did that was cool.

I'd love to have a working version of those.

Paul in NZ
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
the best thing for me would be that when you stopped all the centre caps would be aligned

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
the best thing for me would be that when you stopped all the centre caps would be aligned

Just get out of the car and turn them each time you stop.

Seen some jags with this...they all stop working after a while.

Paul in NZ
01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Just get out of the car and turn them each time you stop.

Seen some jags with this...they all stop working after a while.

possible yes but then i would look as silly about the car as I know I am ....:D
would be possible with the wheels i have now but not quite so easy with the BBS'S

BFEINZIMER
01-04-2007, 03:18 AM
are they bulky like the meters on the semis?

got pics?

AngryPopTart
02-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Custom cars have been using this sort of thing for years. However, instead of a floating deal, it's a spindle mounted piece which is actually attached to the threads on the spindle. I imagine people also added a piece of thread-stock or drilled out the center of the spindle and threaded it to accept a screw in piece. There have been several Street Rods which had spindle mounted ornaments over just the past 10 years. It's really quite neat when done right. I've never looked at the spindle on my E34, but I imagine that similar to every other spindle, it has a hole in the center... one which could be threaded or deepened and then threaded.

You may have to get tricky though and make something that fits JUST inside the center of the wheel so that you could take the wheel off without removing your ornament. If for no other reason, just that I can't think of any great way of making it stay in the hole outside of loktite. Then again, if you made it reverse thread, I suppose it wouldn't have much trouble staying in there. Hehe!