PDA

View Full Version : Front End Alignment

scott 4991
01-02-2007, 11:13 PM
How much are you paying for Front end alignments? I know the proper way is to preload the car with something like 500lb then do the alignment. Do you get your alignment done at the dealer or other shops?

Do dealers run specials on front end alignments? I have not seen any locally in San Jose, CA.

Is there any way to do the alignment ourselves? (I doubt it, I don't have the equipment).. but wanted to ask.

Thanks

sc

aston_jag_tech
01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I was taught to do alignments for Semi Trackers with long straight edges, string and tape measures. Give it a go!!!!

Take it to a shop. I did the whole preload thing(With batteries,F*%^) That was not fun. But it turned out ok.

632 Regal
01-03-2007, 04:44 AM
preload my ass, how do you ususlly (80%) run your car? just you? If so stick a couple #80 sandbags on the back pass side seat and be done. I have them done without weight, I mean its only a toe adjustment not rocket science. Some people are so anal about this and then just flush the trans at the same time...I dont get it.

Ross
01-03-2007, 12:30 PM
$70 for the last two on different cars, both needed to be redone and I'm still not satisfied.
One indy in my area wated $120! All you can do is set the #$%^&&*$ toe on these cars!
Going to try it myself next time, I can't do any worse.

Jr ///M5
01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I have used the string method from the 635 Big Coupe Groupe. It goes like this...

Before you start, make sure the steering wheel is perfectly straight as you drive the car to the work area.

At the back of the rear tire, attach a screw in the tire tread in line with the axle. Then wrap the string tight around all four wheels and tie it off to the screw. The string should be at the same centerline as the axles.

Now position yourself at the front of the front tire and gently pull the string away from the front of the tire while making sure the string doesn't pull away from the rear of the front tire. This tiny distance is the "toe". It should be about 1/8-3/16ths of an inch on each front tire. The idea is to set the toe "in" just a pinch so as the car rolls forward the tendency of the tire is to straighten out, thus giving you a straight rolling tire.

The adjustment is made at the tie rods and the clamps must be loosened, pay attention to which direction you turn the adjuster so that you are moving the tire in the desired position. It will help to use some penetrating oil on the tie-rod threads as they will not want to turn very easily because of rust and the like. It doesn't take much of a turn of the adjuster to move the tire/wheel. You will constantly have to re-check your dimensions at the string line and unlock the steering wheel to move it back and forth but DO NOT turn the wheel. Just move the steering wheel back and forth in the free-play area to make sure you are still perfectly straight.

This process takes some time and effort the first time you do it. You must also make sure the string is touching the tire evenly and is not held off by the raised letter nomenclature on the tire.

If this explanation doesn't make any sense, try this link and read it again.

http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Steering_FAQ.html#anchor542395

This really works well for my 318is, but by all means, it doesn't take the place of an alignment machine that can give you caster and camber measurements to inform you if your bushings are out of spec.

Hope this helps those who dare to try it....

JR

scott 4991
01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Very interesting procedure - I will try just to see which readings I get.

Thanks

sc