PDA

View Full Version : Few pics of the blower on my '93 525i

ericcamaro
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Few pics of my Ert Powerdyne supercharger setup. Got all the kinks worked out and she screams. Kit is supposed to make near 300bhp not too bad for the little 2.5l.

repenttokyo
01-02-2007, 01:08 PM
how much did the kit run you?

ericcamaro
01-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Ive got about $2500 into it so far. And I sold my turner chip I took out for $150 so Id say about $2350 into the whole setup and it doesnt need anything else but some 1" hose to run the Bypass valve. Ill prolly get it later today.

repenttokyo
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
that's a really decent price for the power you are making. any links to the kit?

Macv
01-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice pics, how was mounting that monster in there?

ericcamaro
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Nice pics, how was mounting that monster in there?
It really wasnt bad at all. I thought I was gonna have to relocate the charcoal canister, the cruise control and extend the MAF harness but with the added room in the engine bay of the 5 series as compared to the 3 series I didnt have to do any of this. so that took about 3 hours off installation. If I had everything I needed I could put another one of these kits on in 4-5 hours max. unless something went wrong.

that's a really decent price for the power you are making. any links to the kit?
No links to the kit as this company went out of buisness in the early 2k's and there website is down aswell. THey are focused solely on there bmw racing team. I will be making much better power when I get my 3.2l m3 engine and a custom tune for this thing. Hopefuly over 320whp. well just have to wait and see.

Fetch
01-02-2007, 06:12 PM
that's cute.

but seriously... that's hott

markus
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
ur coolant looks a little low btw.

aston_jag_tech
01-02-2007, 11:57 PM
wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

yy101
01-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Anyone here know anything about supercharging a 540i?

BillionPa
01-03-2007, 03:38 AM
a 3.2L S50 dual vanos M3 engine already makes about 320hp at the crank, so adding a supercharger will be way more than enough for 320 at the wheels.

for a 540, ESS makes a Vortech based unit which will put out 410HP or something at 7psi. if you do an upgrade of your rods, pistons, cams, and cylinder head you will be able to put out significantly more power at 10+psi. you might as well do a full custom megasquirt install if you are going that far.

ericcamaro
01-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Anyone here know anything about supercharging a 540i?
I know there is only 1 kit to my knowledge and it is made by ESS tuning. It will run you close to 7k after shipping but will give you 7psi and is a vortech based unit. I hope you have a manual trans because I dont think the auto will like that much power for very long. btw they also make a kit for the 530i. there is also a twin screw in developement for the 4.4l bmw engine that will be very hott. but something like 20 hrs install time. f*** that.
http://esstuning.com/default.asp?c=shop&cat=93&subcat=180&subcat2=183&id=145

ericcamaro
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
a 3.2L S50 dual vanos M3 engine already makes about 320hp at the crank, so adding a supercharger will be way more than enough for 320 at the wheels.
Are you talking bout the s52 3.2l? if so it is a single vanos not dual. I think you may be thinking of the S54 tha is the only 3.2 with dual vanos to my knowledge. but I think your right. Either way I should be near 400bhp and hopefully 350rwhp or more. damn only 3k for the engine and another for the tune. lol.

BillionPa
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
actually i was thinking the euro S50 motor from the E36 M3s. its dual vanos with individual throttles, and puts out 340bhp with a performance chip, 500bhp with "small" boost, and about 1000bhp at 30psi.

extensive modifications required to the entire vehicle to support 1K hp.

repenttokyo
01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
you guys are talking about the euro 3.2 l s50, right? The NA version was only 240 hp.

ericcamaro
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
you guys are talking about the euro 3.2 l s50, right? The NA version was only 240 hp.

Thats the #s for the US version not the Euro engine. Im not looking to throw 10k at a euro motor any how. Besides Its too easy to get close to those #s with a s52 blown.

repenttokyo
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
i have a solid, but high miles m50 in my car right now, and I am a bit scared to go the forced induction route specifically due to the mileage. However, swapping to an s52 normally aspirated motor for maybe 40 more hp doesn't seem that cost effective to me, so I am unsure of what I want to do.

ericcamaro
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
i have a solid, but high miles m50 in my car right now, and I am a bit scared to go the forced induction route specifically due to the mileage. However, swapping to an s52 normally aspirated motor for maybe 40 more hp doesn't seem that cost effective to me, so I am unsure of what I want to do.
good luck with forced induction on your m50 non vanos. High milage engines are not the best thing to be putting boost on. however due to the milage of your engine vs. a s52 low milage engine swap. You will be seeing alot more than 40 hp. More like 100hp. and if you wanted to go FI then, you could get another good 150 horse out of it at about 8psi. good luck, you may just want to buy a lower milage 5er. Alot more than just the engine will be showing its age when you go for more power.

Macv
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I know there is only 1 kit to my knowledge and it is made by ESS tuning. It will run you close to 7k after shipping but will give you 7psi and is a vortech based unit. I hope you have a manual trans because I dont think the auto will like that much power for very long.
http://esstuning.com/default.asp?c=s...2=183&i d=145

There's been a lot of talk about this. The auto box on the 540's can handle the power. We use the same transmission as does more powerful Roll Royce's and others (don't know off the top of my head, but theres a topic covering this.) However that kit consists of parts that will fail sooner than you'd like. If you'd purchase that kit and replace a couple things, you'd be in good shape. Of course your car must be "ready" for the setup. I wouldn't just throw it on an old stock motor at 100k miles

yy101
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Cool thanks for the info, I was just fishing. Not sure what I want out of my 540i yet, right now its power is more than adequate for a daily ride. But if I upgrade in a couple of years time I might have something in mind for it.

As for my 02, I will probably stick with the m10 and go megaquirt and probably a 5 speed with better gearing and a lsd diff. Too much trouble fitting a m60 or m62 into the little thing :D

repenttokyo
01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
good luck with forced induction on your m50 non vanos. High milage engines are not the best thing to be putting boost on. however due to the milage of your engine vs. a s52 low milage engine swap. You will be seeing alot more than 40 hp. More like 100hp. and if you wanted to go FI then, you could get another good 150 horse out of it at about 8psi. good luck, you may just want to buy a lower milage 5er. Alot more than just the engine will be showing its age when you go for more power.

the car is in immaculate shape - remember, it's 350 000 km, not miles. The top end of the engine was rebuilt 100 000 km ago. When I bought the car, as second owner it came with service records from BMW dating back to 1991. So overall it is in great shape. However, I too am wary of boosting an engine with that high mileage, and don't think I am going to be doing it any time soon. My goal is to start with suspension first - all the necessary control arms, bushings, etc have already been replaced, so next it's shocks and springs.

ericcamaro
01-03-2007, 08:47 PM
the car is in immaculate shape - remember, it's 350 000 km, not miles. The top end of the engine was rebuilt 100 000 km ago. When I bought the car, as second owner it came with service records from BMW dating back to 1991. So overall it is in great shape. However, I too am wary of boosting an engine with that high mileage, and don't think I am going to be doing it any time soon. My goal is to start with suspension first - all the necessary control arms, bushings, etc have already been replaced, so next it's shocks and springs.
I prolly should have started with suspension too. but I will get to it soon. I cant decide if I want coilovers or not, I really dont know if I will ever track the car, that would be the deciding factor. your still over the 200k mile mark, and that to me is too many miles, however. If you ever decide to go FI I woul just give your engine a compression test and if all looks good. go for it. You can always get another one of those non vanos m50s for like 4-500 bux. with way less milage. at least you can here in the states.

RallyD
01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Cool thanks for the info, I was just fishing. Not sure what I want out of my 540i yet, right now its power is more than adequate for a daily ride. But if I upgrade in a couple of years time I might have something in mind for it.

As for my 02, I will probably stick with the m10 and go megaquirt and probably a 5 speed with better gearing and a lsd diff. Too much trouble fitting a m60 or m62 into the little thing :D
not to mention throwing off the handling. unless you just like to go straight.
saw a 2 on ebay with e30 M motor, now thats sweet

Thayne
01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Nice!

BillionPa
01-04-2007, 02:04 AM
get an S14 for the 02!

Jon K
01-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Cute little supercharger.

DO NOT TURN THE BOOST UP OVER 9 PSI on that blower. Do not undersize pulleys to turn 9 psi out of the Powerdyne unit or you WILL be picking pieces of the blower out of itself.

Back when I was supercharged it was cool - however, I should have gone turbo from the very beginning!

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger%20Build/3.jpg

TO:
http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/stock2.jpg

193,000 miles, 10 psi boost.

Hell Freaking Yes.

PS: To anyone who was asking about supercharging a 540 or 530 etc, or a 525, whatever. I have my ASA blower USED (<15,000 Miles) BUT DAMAGED but can possibly be rebuilt - looks like it needs a compressor wheel - possibly a shaft. This is the same blower than you'd find in an Alpina supercharged 5. Also the same that ESS uses. ASA TM-12.

Erriccamaro - seriously, before you start doing the whole S52 swap thing, or maybe in addition to, you should really consider going turbocharger. I was a GREAT fan of the supercharger on my car, but the problem is that the boost is a linear (and slow) build to redline. I was running 9 psi but didn't get there until about 6400 rpm - from 2500 - 5800 I only had like 1 - 5 psi - ARGH! If you think the S/C is nice now, you realllllly need to turbo your E34. People will buy up that Powerdie blower right away - argh send me your car I will return it in "very fast" mode.

Even with an OBDI converted S52 and a Powerdyne/Dinan setup running 7 - 8 psi, don't expect more than maybe 350 whp. No aftercooler and pretty modest tuning. Put a turbo on that thing at 10 psi intercooled and say hello to 380+ ft lb of torque. Its sad the torque superchargers make is so low, but its part of life. Parasitic loss sucks :( I won't rain on the parade though, nice job there and hope you enjoy it... but just remember... don't turn that boost up unless you want to break that blower. If you want to turn the boost up give me a call :)

Macv
01-04-2007, 07:11 AM
http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/stock2.jpg

Those wheels are hot.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Those wheels are hot.

Hot like wassabi

ericcamaro
01-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I would like to turbo but here in cali there is no way id ever smog it. This way if they give me any trouble I will just throw the DINAN carb # at them that uses the same blower and if they still bitch I will just pull the blower and put back in my stock chip and injectors. Much easier than uninstalling a turbo. If I ever get out of this state you better believe I will be running a turbo, but for now the powerdyne is keepin smiles on my face. maybe twin scew in the future if they ever get a carb #. Btw theres a guy on bimerforums whos been running his PD at like 10 psi for over a year now with little to no probs. I also saw this 928 motorsports racing rebuild that is supposed to let you turn the blower up to 60,000 rpm. I think I could get some real PSI moving through this thing at that rpm. BTW I have an extra powerdyne bd-11 just incase the 11a decides to eat itself. I may just send em the 11 and have em build it up and see how much boost it will push. well see. I am a long way from any of that as I really need suspension mods. wut do you have for susp. mods jon??

Macv
01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Hot like wassabi

I meant the wheels in the reflection on your car.

58's are gorgeous

Jon K
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
wut do you have for susp. mods jon??

Bilstein sport struts with H&R sport springs, urethane control arm bushings (upper and lower), raceking urethane subframe reinforcements, M Tech 3mm spring pads. Someday I'll get sway bars.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I meant the wheels in the reflection on your car.

58's are gorgeous

My sisters car, yeah I quite like those wheels as well.

Martin in Bellevue
01-04-2007, 06:06 PM
.. I was running 9 psi but didn't get there until about 6400 rpm - from 2500 - 5800 I only had like 1 - 5 psi - ARGH! If you think the S/C is nice now, you realllllly need to turbo your E34. People will buy up that Powerdie blower right away - argh send me your car I will return it in "very fast" mode.
..Its sad the torque superchargers make is so low, but its part of life. Parasitic loss sucks :( I won't rain on the parade though, nice job there and hope you enjoy it...

or, from a year ago, last October,

0 - 60 time are MUCH improved.... I don't launch the car (not worth the strain on driveline) so I don't get boost until about 2000rpm, but even still, 0 - 60 is MUCH quicker... my friend estimates in 6 secs... I have to see about that :)

or, this maybe?,

I will be closer to 380 crank horsepower ;) With a new motor coming and new parts, including an additional snail, keep an eye here! Don't feel so guilty :)

Jon K
01-04-2007, 06:38 PM
or, from a year ago, last October,

or, this maybe?,

It is a much improved setup over stock for sure, Martin. Not sure what you're trying to say.

Point is - the CF blower assisted in 0 - 60 times where I would slip the clutch some and get 1 - 2 psi by about 2500 - 3000 rpm, and it climbs very linearly but slowly until red line where it was making aetween 160 - 166 kpa (about 9.5 psi).

I was predicting being able to hit 380 crank horsepower once intercooled and on the standalone ECU. My original intent was to run a smaller turbo and the supercharger, but once I started working on friends turbo cars with big compressors, it all became more clear. Then I had the misfortune (luck?) of the supercharger digesting a vacuum line when the intake hose poppe d off (ERICCAMARO!!! Watch this! The flex hose doesn't like to stay put!) and decided to just go all-out all over again.

I really do wish I took my friend and his shops advice and just gone turbo from the get go, but I felt the supercharger was a good way of getting into the fabrication side of things and wetting my feet with boost on the BMW motors. Now I am addicted and there are things superchargers just cannot provide - like torque.

My supercharger NEVER slipped the stock clutch - mornings it would slip 2nd gear if I wasn't nice to it, but up here its like 15 degrees over night when that happened so I blame it on freezing cold surfaces. The DAY I put the turbo on and saw even moderate boost, I was slipping that clutch like you wouldn't believe. This isn't a thing to brag about, but I am talking about how much night/day difference there was between having torque and not - same psi roughly (9.5 psi on the turbo, 9 - 9.5 on the supercharger).

Ericcamaro - there are guys running that powderyne higher but the thing that fails is the internal belt system I believe - the belts literally shread apart and bad things happen.

The main difference, aside from the torque, is that rather than making 9.5 psi at 6500 rpm, I make 9.5 psi at 3900 rpm. Granted there is less boost in the "interrum" off idle to then, but it more than makes up for it by sheer power.

Martin in Bellevue
01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
It is a much improved setup over stock for sure, Martin. Not sure what you're trying to say.
I'm trying to say, that a dyno sheet or 2 would make your statements much more credible. You once stated that your 525 with supercharger made more horsepower than a dynan vortech m3, without any timeslips or dyno sheets. I think your modifications are interesting, but your claims are haphazard. Give the forum some relevant, verifiable data, or at the least, make more reasonable boasts.

Jon K
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to say, that a dyno sheet or 2 would make your statements much more credible. You once stated that your 525 with supercharger made more horsepower than a dynan vortech m3, without any timeslips or dyno sheets. I think your modifications are interesting, but your claims are haphazard. Give the forum some relevant, verifiable data, or at the least, make more reasonable boasts.

Well I don't believe in dynoing cars. I could probably wring 500hp out of my current setup for a dyno pull and you'd be none the wiser. I also have not "made" claims, but have anticipated results. Realistically speaking, I walked an E34 540i/6 with an EAT chip back when I was supercharged from 2nd gear leaving an E34 meet (Bahnstormer was there and can attest). That's the only real "here is what I have" post I have made. I also clearly beat Cereal Killa's TCD 535i Turbo even while he makes 12 psi and me on 9. Again, he admitted it and his friend (E28 owner) has chimed in as well. I am not one to make claims - but if that's what you want to hear, numbers, then I am sorry I won't provide them. The only reason I am putting my car on a dyno in February is to tune it without going to jail.

RussC
01-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Well I don't believe in dynoing cars. I could probably wring 500hp out of my current setup for a dyno pull and you'd be none the wiser. I also have not "made" claims, but have anticipated results. Realistically speaking, I walked an E34 540i/6 with an EAT chip back when I was supercharged from 2nd gear leaving an E34 meet (Bahnstormer was there and can attest). That's the only real "here is what I have" post I have made. I also clearly beat Cereal Killa's TCD 535i Turbo even while he makes 12 psi and me on 9. Again, he admitted it and his friend (E28 owner) has chimed in as well. I am not one to make claims - but if that's what you want to hear, numbers, then I am sorry I won't provide them. The only reason I am putting my car on a dyno in February is to tune it without going to jail.

Umm,
So, what car/engine combo did you "beat" a M30b35 E34 with a TCD kit @12psi with? Is there more to this story that Im missing?

That M30b35 TCD @12psi, if tuned right will make 400+lb-ft wheel and ~360+whp!!!! The TCD system will make boost @ 1500rpm, the peak torque will be at a scant 3500rpm. The car will walk an E39 ///M5 easy. My E28 with M30b35, piggybacks and Dinan turbo system makes 323whp and 365lb-ft wheel @ 9.5psi with craptane.

http://home.comcast.net/~russelc/images/RTC_M30b35.jpg

Theres no way a E34 with 2.5l SC anything will "beat" a M30b35 TCD set up if its properly tuned and everything working. If you've done a 3.0 or 3.2l M52 conversion, then OK, that would back up your claim.

I haven't seen to many post by Cereal Killa over at BF.c, Ill have to go look some more to see whats up with his system.

RussC

Jon K
01-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Umm,
So, what car/engine combo did you "beat" a M30b35 E34 with a TCD kit @12psi with? Is there more to this story that Im missing?

That M30b35 TCD @12psi, if tuned right will make 400+lb-ft wheel and ~360+whp!!!! The TCD system will make boost @ 1500rpm, the peak torque will be at a scant 3500rpm. The car will walk an E39 ///M5 easy. My E28 with M30b35, piggybacks and Dinan turbo system makes 323whp and 365lb-ft wheel @ 9.5psi with craptane.

http://home.comcast.net/~russelc/images/RTC_M30b35.jpg

Theres no way a E34 with 2.5l SC anything will "beat" a M30b35 TCD set up if its properly tuned and everything working. If you've done a 3.0 or 3.2l M52 conversion, then OK, that would back up your claim.

I haven't seen to many post by Cereal Killa over at BF.c, Ill have to go look some more to see whats up with his system.

RussC

He was running about the same boost as me, around 8 psi. Much sooner boost. I have a much higher flowing turbo and a 24v motor - if you aren't aware, flow is the goal when FI'ing a motor, not "psi". Higher flowing motor, higher flowing turbo, higher flowing piping system and standalone engine management and you bet your ass I beat his car. I am not supercharged. Perhaps you missed the ginormous Holset turbo on my car ;)

We removed the TCD chip from Kevins car because it was running so horrendously rich - is now running a megasquirt full standalone tuned by yours truly. No one else seems to have issues, but he bought his stuff from Todd and we were saying AFR to the tune of "10.0:1" and thats only because we configured the wideband to stop at 10. Kevin has admitted defeat previously - all whilst I have a murdered stock clutch and a horrible tune at the time.

I did the finger-walking for you:

"I'm only running 6psi intercooled, but with just about no tune. I'm going to be running Megasquirt shortly. Even with all of that and bumped to about 10psi, It may be close, but UMs car still probably faster."

I figure the boost to be more than 6 psi indicated by his gauge because when we had MS hooked up it report spikes from 145 kpa - 156 kpa which is between 6.5 psi and 8.1 psi.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7505757&postcount=61

Link for ya.

Its a pretty common misconception that 2.5L < 3.5L in FI. Andreas in Sweden turned out over 850 whp from an M50 Non Vanos with 8.5:1 CR and a bunch of boost. To give you an idea of what I am building, it's 8.3:1 CR and a bunch + some more boost ;) My car is no slouch my friend - if you want some power numbers... I healthily pulled away from my friends '06 (mk5) GTI 2.0T with chip/intake/exhaust/downpipe and he dyno'd 292 wheel tq. So, for an E34 525 with full suspension and audio system to healthily pull from that... you do the math. This is not to say I am claiming that when I get my motor together it'll be an 800 hp car... merely saying, this is what the motor is capable of.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a supercharged car ericcamaro - but take it from me - once you get bit you contract the disease. The benefit of supercharger over turbo is its harder to turn the boost up :)

Also, forgot to mention, he's now running 12 psi as of last week of school when I road tuned him... car pulls stronger, but both he and our friend (E28 owner) admit its nothing like my car. Ask Angrypancake, he'll tell ya.

RussC
01-05-2007, 02:32 AM
There you go,
I didn't get the whole story. Thats why I asked the question, and made a comparison to a SC's 2.5l. You runing much much more than that, nice.

I missed the thread you posted over at BF.c. I didn't know you were YM. Anyway, I got it.

RussC

Jon K
01-05-2007, 02:41 AM
There you go,
I didn't get the whole story. Thats why I asked the question, and made a comparison to a SC's 2.5l. You runing much much more than that, nice.

I missed the thread you posted over at BF.c. I didn't know you were YM. Anyway, I got it.

RussC

It's probably just confusing - my car was formerly supercharged, then I moved on up to turbo land.

angrypancake
01-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Ask Angrypancake, he'll tell ya.

I haven't been in Kevin (Cereal Killa)'s car since the upped boost, but I was definitely in it when it was first done. It drove sort of like a car would. You could tell there was a turbo, it pulled, very nice acceleration and quick as hell, but there was no sudden WHAM of the turbo. Not knowing much about it, I attribute that to the fact that he's running the kkk27 turbo which is smaller and spools faster thus eliminating lag...? Regardless, definitely a sleeper and a half that is not to be ****ed with. Oh, and he's also got the 4 piston brakes up front, we did a 70 to 0 stop and even though I had full warning I was still almost out the windshield.

Whereas Jon's car is loud as hell. You get in it, and cruise around in whatever gear you choose, and everything is copasetic. Then all of a sudden the hammer drops and right around 4k rpm the wastegate opens and everything goes to ****. The dump into the atmosphere drowns out everything around it, music included, and it feels like you got whacked in the head with a blunt object. We were on teh way to a diner and some morons in a rusted rice burner prelude with a fart cannon thought they had a shot, it was pretty funny to see the difference. 2.5L BIG turbo > 3.5L TCD/745i setup.

Hope this helps.

-Nat

RussC
01-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Oh Gees,
Cereal Killas turbo is a KKK27, those turbos are crap compared to the T04E in the TCD kit. I didn't know that. No wonder his car is slow. The KKK27s are very old technology. The T04E that TCD sells spools way faster and makes probably 10% more power at the same boost level. The KKK27s were OK for the 70s, but now there just outdated. Heres a dyno chart of a TCD T04E with a tuned unichip on a M30b35 E34 with 8:1 CR:

http://www.535i.net/random/BMW/535i/dyno/DSCN3140.JPG

The peak boost is at 3kRPM!!!! Thats at minimal boost, I think 10psi.

That race may have been different with a "proper" TCD system.

RussC

angrypancake
01-05-2007, 11:14 AM
hardly "slow," but defintiely not ridiculously fast. i dont have much experience with turbo cars, and to me jons car is stupid fast. keep in mind he couldnt go past 5500 rpm cause the clutch wouldnt hold.

Incantation
01-05-2007, 01:40 PM
agreed. and if you don't want to look like an obvious retard quietly slamming someone else's work, don't describe it as "cute" or "back when it was cool"

Jon K
01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
agreed. and if you don't want to look like an obvious retard quietly slamming someone else's work, don't describe it as "cute" or "back when it was cool"

First, incantation, blow me - "cute" is a half-hearted poke in fun, you fool.

Its not a matter of "back when it was cool" but "back when it was cool for me" - my point was that you start with a supercharger setup, and you get the bite, and you end up going all out. It's what 95% of all FI owners end up doing ANYWAY. It's a powerdyne supercharger and while cool and providing fun for now, I've been there (and you can't say you have) and it is fun for about 8 months - a year, and then you want more. The problem is, unlike a turbo, there isn't much more to be had. You wouldn't know the first thing about it - to call me a retard really exhibits your character, nice one bro!!!!!!!!

Good deal with the power-adder Ericcamaro I'd hate for you to think I am talking down on your setup as others make it out to sound like. I was merely making the point that it starts out as a supercharger setup and grows into something really really unique.

Have you considered adding the RMS aftercooler? You gain considerable power by cooling that charge temp down.

ericcamaro
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
First, incantation, blow me - "cute" is a half-hearted poke in fun, you fool.

Its not a matter of "back when it was cool" but "back when it was cool for me" - my point was that you start with a supercharger setup, and you get the bite, and you end up going all out. It's what 95% of all FI owners end up doing ANYWAY. It's a powerdyne supercharger and while cool and providing fun for now, I've been there (and you can't say you have) and it is fun for about 8 months - a year, and then you want more. The problem is, unlike a turbo, there isn't much more to be had. You wouldn't know the first thing about it - to call me a retard really exhibits your character, nice one bro!!!!!!!!

Good deal with the power-adder Ericcamaro I'd hate for you to think I am talking down on your setup as others make it out to sound like. I was merely making the point that it starts out as a supercharger setup and grows into something really really unique.

Have you considered adding the RMS aftercooler? You gain considerable power by cooling that charge temp down.

Dont worry I know your not slamming me, Ive been fallowing your posts since you were trying to get your original supercharger system worked out and youve came a long way in the last couple years. I think you may be a little uniformed about what these powerdyne blowers are really capable of. 928 motorsports does a racing rebuild on these things with a vent and shim service and moves the max rpm of the blower from 40,000 rpm all the way up to 60,000. that should be good for a little kick in the pants. or maybe If I want more ill just get the xb gear driven powerdyne. but as for the aftercooler, its just way too much money for it. I will go water injection but I live on the central california coast and it doest even get up to 90 in the summer. right now its bright sunny and nice out but only 60 degrees. I think water injection will do fine for my current environment. Do you know if I should have any check valves in place?? I have a feeling I am loosing boost through maybe a crancase line or charcoal canister purge line. Anyways I just started a thread at bimmerforums so respond there if u want. thanks man. And all the people who are diggin my setup. late

Jon K
01-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Dont worry I know your not slamming me, Ive been fallowing your posts since you were trying to get your original supercharger system worked out and youve came a long way in the last couple years. I think you may be a little uniformed about what these powerdyne blowers are really capable of. 928 motorsports does a racing rebuild on these things with a vent and shim service and moves the max rpm of the blower from 40,000 rpm all the way up to 60,000. that should be good for a little kick in the pants. or maybe If I want more ill just get the xb gear driven powerdyne. but as for the aftercooler, its just way too much money for it. I will go water injection but I live on the central california coast and it doest even get up to 90 in the summer. right now its bright sunny and nice out but only 60 degrees. I think water injection will do fine for my current environment. Do you know if I should have any check valves in place?? I have a feeling I am loosing boost through maybe a crancase line or charcoal canister purge line. Anyways I just started a thread at bimmerforums so respond there if u want. thanks man. And all the people who are diggin my setup. late

Eric - there is a small 1/8" vacuum line from the idle control valve area up to the crank case ventilation plastic fitting, its a small nipple, it's primarily used to initiate vacuum to draw oil vapors out (I am not talking about the 3/8 or 1/2" line of the crank case vent itself, but the smaller hose you will find "below" the big one), that should be filled with epoxy or blocked up else you are pressurizing the crank case. Also, the crank case circulation hose (the one that goes from the stock throttle body, under the intake manifold, and up to the top front of the valve cover must be disconnected or a check valve* installed to prevent from also pressurizing the crank case.

Eric - also keep in mind, the rebuilds to handle the 60,000 rpm are great and all, but that doesn't necessarily mean more power - higher RPM for a blower = more heat, more heat = less power. FWIW, my ASA blower spun at 100,000 rpm with a 120,000 momentary peak RPM... bitch ran HOT.

mzarifkar
01-06-2007, 01:52 AM

you have two gorgeous cars!