PDA

View Full Version : My Intake DIY mistakes. 1994 540i

mangler
01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
1.I was getting o2 codes. i replaced my O2 sensors(with bosch) and zip tied the excess wire clear of the exhaust. when i got more O2 codes i checked everything but the o2 sensors. turns out i zip tied the wires too close to the driveshaft and burnt the wires up. nice. retard.($150)
2. I was getting many 1213, 1222, 1221 lean, codes. i did a complete intake/ pcv/throttle body re-seal with the help of the posters on this forum. turned out,the air leak was coming from the grommet on the ICV. It only took forever to figure this out.
3. if attempting a re-seal and you move or disturb the coolant pipe that travels across the heads from the water pump. they can leak!. that was fun trying to stop the leak.
4. I learned BMA is the best place to order parts from if you live in hawaii, since they ship for free. Also call and order in person because they carry almost every part, even if it's not listed online, almost half price of the stealership.
Just a quick thread to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to help everyone else out, and maybe prevent someone from making the same retarded mistakes i made. Good luck all. Happy new year .

winfred
01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
yea i ****ing hate the new bosch sensors where they do that ****, ****ing giving you a universal sensor at a oem price and throwing you a bone by it having the correct plug and a couple zipties to gather up 2 feet of wire in the way, any more i chop the excess wire off and solder them with crimp connectors (remove the plastic sleeve and just use the metal with a little flux to help fill the connector, the stainless wire doesn't accept solder well on it's own) and heat shrink

1.I was getting o2 codes. i replaced my O2 sensors(with bosch) and zip tied the excess wire clear of the exhaust. when i got more O2 codes i checked everything but the o2 sensors. turns out i zip tied the wires too close to the driveshaft and burnt the wires up. nice. retard.($150)

Mr._Graybeard
01-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Here's a chance to toss a bomb. I replaced my Bosch sensors six months ago with Walkers ('95 540i). And if I'd known better I'd have used Densos, which are available with OE wiring before the cat. Japanese electronics rule. When my NGK plugs wear out, I'll replace 'em with Japanese iridium.

I have a pretty low opinion of Bosch electronics, and will go for the aftermarket option when available when I do repairs.