PDA

View Full Version : no starting problem

Unregistered
04-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Whats up fellow E34ers? I need your help in solving a problem with my 93 525i with 119 thou on it. This is kind of long but work with me.

My car is having problems starting. It happens only when the engine is warm usually about half hour or so after turning it off then I come back to the car and it just cranks but doesn't start. Give it 5 minutes or so and try it again it will start reluctantly after about 10 seconds of cranking. It then runs very rough for about a minute before returning to its normal operation which I know and love. This started about 3 months ago and happened very rarely ( maybe once every 2 weeks) but now it has done it about every other day this past week.

Now when this problem first showed up I took it to get a tune up(new plugs, filters, etc.) so thats not the problem. The fuel pump was replaced within the last year as well. However it is also having an idle problem too which has gotten worse at the same time. The engine will suddenly rev up to 1500 rpm and sometimes rev up and down between 1500 and 3000(!!!!)rpms when idling. You can even feel it when once you pull while driving - like my foot is on the gas even if it is not. This happens only when the engine is warm and in stop and go traffic.

So my questions are these:
What could be the culprit of the no starts?
What is causing the erratic idle? Is this related to the no starts? (ICV? some sensor?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Puzzled in Jersey

Bill R.
04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
hot soak starts.... meaning after if sits for a half hour after running for awhile.. . I suspect you have a fuel injector leaking when hot and its allowing gas to puddle in the port which causes it to run crappy for about 30 seconds to a minute after starting... until all the extra gas gets out of the cylinder that its near... If it starts easier by holding the gas pedal to the floor when its warmed up then it is probably a leaking injector.. Any shop with a fuel pressure tester can check this for you

Whats up fellow E34ers? I need your help in solving a problem with my 93 525i with 119 thou on it. This is kind of long but work with me.

My car is having problems starting. It happens only when the engine is warm usually about half hour or so after turning it off then I come back to the car and it just cranks but doesn't start. Give it 5 minutes or so and try it again it will start reluctantly after about 10 seconds of cranking. It then runs very rough for about a minute before returning to its normal operation which I know and love. This started about 3 months ago and happened very rarely ( maybe once every 2 weeks) but now it has done it about every other day this past week.

Now when this problem first showed up I took it to get a tune up(new plugs, filters, etc.) so thats not the problem. The fuel pump was replaced within the last year as well. However it is also having an idle problem too which has gotten worse at the same time. The engine will suddenly rev up to 1500 rpm and sometimes rev up and down between 1500 and 3000(!!!!)rpms when idling. You can even feel it when once you pull while driving - like my foot is on the gas even if it is not. This happens only when the engine is warm and in stop and go traffic.

So my questions are these:
What could be the culprit of the no starts?
What is causing the erratic idle? Is this related to the no starts? (ICV? some sensor?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Puzzled in Jersey

Unregistered
04-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Ok thanks for the advice. Its a start to figuring this problem out.