PDA

View Full Version : Best brands of engine Belts?

Russell
01-01-2007, 08:32 PM
What brand of engine ac and accessory belts are best for the M50 engine with the flat sepentine belts? I have been using conti brand but I have heard that Goodyear Gatorback Belts are quieter. TIA

632 Regal
01-02-2007, 12:32 AM
I am using the conti belts, they come highly recommended everywhere.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-02-2007, 12:40 AM
under the spare tire for good luck on the road if you blow a belt.

632 Regal
01-02-2007, 02:00 AM
ahh the old insurance trick, back in the day we would carry starters and alternaters for that purpose just so they wouldnt go bad.

Bill R.
01-02-2007, 08:52 AM
gatorbacks, they have diagonal cuts in them to allow them to flex in a tighter radius but those same cuts result in less contact surface on the pulleys makeing them far more likely to squeal from slippage on most cars. I have better results with bando belts on most cars. On bmw's if you want conti's get them from the dealer since the original bmw belts seem to be of different quality than the aftermarket conti belts.

What brand of engine ac and accessory belts are best for the M50 engine with the flat sepentine belts? I have been using conti brand but I have heard that Goodyear Gatorback Belts are quieter. TIA

Russell
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Interesting. I will check this out as I have the ps/alt belt squealing a bit on the first cold start this morning. I also noted that it squealed a small ampunt when I turned on the seat heater. What does that mean besides more of a load on the alternator and I assume the belt slipping?

Bando belts eh? Thanks again, Bill

Tiger
01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
It is possible your tensioner is worn.

Bill R.
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
could just be the belt getting hard and old. I like the bando's because the price is very reasonable and they last a long time, with no squealing. They are stock or oem on toyota,honda, nissan etc and a number of import shops here in the US now carry them. About half the cost of gates, goodyear etc.

Interesting. I will check this out as I have the ps/alt belt squealing a bit on the first cold start this morning. I also noted that it squealed a small ampunt when I turned on the seat heater. What does that mean besides more of a load on the alternator and I assume the belt slipping?

Bando belts eh? Thanks again, Bill