PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a tow hook (eye)

bbig119
01-01-2007, 06:33 PM
This seems like it should be easy to find, but I can't find a part number or a place to buy a replacement tow hook (eye).

LunatiC
01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
fleabay? I bought one from there (eBay in the UK FWIW, and had it shipped here to Australia). Funny thing is though, it couldn't fit into the tow hook cavity in the toolbox in the boot lid, and when I popped open the little covers in the bumpers I found that there is already one there (one in the front and one in the back) that's actually part of the chassis, so I didn't need it anyway.

bbig119
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
fleabay? I bought one from there (eBay in the UK FWIW, and had it shipped here to Australia). Funny thing is though, it couldn't fit into the tow hook cavity in the toolbox in the boot lid, and when I popped open the little covers in the bumpers I found that there is already one there (one in the front and one in the back) that's actually part of the chassis, so I didn't need it anyway.

Really? I need to check this out when its light out, but do we need the tow hook in the trunk tool kit to tow our cars then?

LunatiC
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Really? I need to check this out when its light out, but do we need the tow hook in the trunk tool kit to tow our cars then?

I'm not exactly sure. My E34 is a 1995 so things could have changed mid-lifecycle for the E34 -- maybe older ones need it but the newer ones don't or something? I am sure someone else on here would know.

I popped the covers off to have a look when I did get my tow hook and found those metal loops already welded to the chassis, I'm guessing they can be used for towing. I couldn't find a threaded hole to put a tow hook in anyway, and the cavity in the toolbox didn't fit the tow hook I got (maybe it was the wrong one?)

All I know is that I have a tow hook at home that doesn't fit any of my cars, and a 99% completed toolbox that doesn't have a tow hook in it ;)

Paul in NZ
01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
only the later cars have the seperate tow hook.I an pretty sure we all have tow hooks already there but hiding under lil plastic covers.