PDA

View Full Version : 1991 525i auto transmission types

bimmerBob
01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I just purchased my first bimmer. It's a beauty. 1991 525i white with tan interior.
I'll post a pic as soon as I get it off the blocks :). My first issue of many is the tranny. The rear seal was leaking and as I started to remove it I noticed the rear bushing was also loose. I removed the pan and found some copper filament kinda like a pot scruber and also a lot of clutch material. Now, the VIN decoder says I have a A5S 310Z tranny but the realoem site display of it looks nothing like mine. Mine looks more like the A4S270/310R. I couldn't read the model on the tranny with it still in the car. But I did see GM and LB on the tag. Anyone now about the copper material or what type I may have? It has the two oil pans. Thanks, Robert

Spasso
01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Based on my own research and two different Bentley manuals it sounds like you have the A4S 270/310R. A GM 4 speed Hydramatic. They have the twin sump pans. Same as in my 328 E36 (Green data plate). It uses Dexron III fluid.

The A5S 310Z is a ZF 5 speed auto. (Black data plate) My 94, E34 530i has one in it (V8). It only has one sump pan. It uses Dexron III fluid.

The A5S 560Z is also a ZF 5 speed auto used in the 540 (V8)
(Green data plate)
Uses Shell semi-synthetic "Lifetime" fluid.

bimmerBob
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Spasso. I agree that I have the A4S 270/310R.

Anyone know what the copper stuff is? Looks like choir boy pot scrubber.

632 Regal
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
bad news is my guess. The material I would guess is the rear bushing, but how it got like that is a concern. They are supposed to be a press fit and the only way for it to spin is lack of fluid. Now the good news, if he had the car towed for a distance this could be an okay thing and explain it (likely scenereo). If it went low on fluid it might have fried the clutches but you wont really know til you get it together. Did the fluid smell burnt?

Anyone know what the copper stuff is? Looks like choir boy pot scrubber.