PDA

View Full Version : OT- Redlight cameras/photo radar

trumpetr
12-30-2006, 05:07 PM
While in Portland, OR, over christmas, I was heading down W. Burnside, 1130 pm, christmas day, bringing my elderly mom and my more elderly aunt back to their respective houses, when i entered an intersection about 2 seconds after the light turned yellow. After what had to be the shortest yellow i have ever seen, the light went red, and a big bright strobe flash went off. ****!,,then another flash(assuming it took a pic of the ass end of the car, too.)

I would have to dynamite the brakes in order not to enter the intersection at the change to yellow, and i was 5 mph under the posted speed. Not wanting to dislodge two little old ladies from their seats, or scare them to death, I opted to go thru. Poof went the flash.

So, anticipating a "christmas card" from the City of Portland, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with redlight cams, and how to respond to a mailed ticket. Should you even respond, since it is a mailed summons, is there a way to beat these 'chippy' tickets?

Havent got it in the mail yet, so might be no worries,,but, the city of portland never ignores a chance to make a buck, so, im sure its in the mail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated--

Thanks--

Art.

rickm
12-30-2006, 08:27 PM
I had this happen in Destin, FL. I was close and it was one of those "do I lock up the brakes or do I keep going". I kept going and saw the flashes. After sweating bullets the rest of the day I went through the intersection again and noticed that they had lights that had white strobes on them, which I guess are there to get your attention. Never did receive a ticket out of it.

trumpetr
12-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I had this happen in Destin, FL. I was close and it was one of those "do I lock up the brakes or do I keep going". I kept going and saw the flashes. After sweating bullets the rest of the day I went through the intersection again and noticed that they had lights that had white strobes on them, which I guess are there to get your attention. Never did receive a ticket out of it.

The strobes are there to take a pic of your lic. plate, with wich, the company that owns the cameras that the city contracts with, can ID you (your car, anyway), and mail you a ticket.

The shortness of duration in the yellow light, wich just happens to have a redlight cam on, leads me to believe this is a 'money maker', for the city.

I assume the taken photos are reviewed by a human, before a ticket is issued, but that might be hopefull thinking.

rickm
12-30-2006, 08:40 PM
There is a light with a strobe on it down the street from me and no camera (city isn't using them yet). Those things are a freaking cash cow. :P

I do wonder if they are manually checked like you said with a time stamp for when the light turned and when you "ran" it. Or to see if you have Cali tags or not. :)

trumpetr
12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
There is a light with a strobe on it down the street from me and no camera (city isn't using them yet). Those things are a freaking cash cow. :P

I do wonder if they are manually checked like you said with a time stamp for when the light turned and when you "ran" it. Or to see if you have Cali tags or not. :)

In my case, its Washingon tags.

I wonder if there are ways to beat this 'no arm' version of a vegas slot machine.........

Alexlind123
12-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I recently read an article in popular science that said that shortening yellow light times vastly increases revenue and increases the number of rear end collisions, but they do it anyways.

trumpetr
12-30-2006, 10:17 PM
I recently read an article in popular science that said that shortening yellow light times vastly increases revenue and increases the number of rear end collisions, but they do it anyways.

That would go along with my perception that this particular light had a VERY short yellow, and the general knowledge that cities use these things as a revenue generator.

So, how does one beat the inevetible ticket in the mail,,,

BillionPa
12-31-2006, 04:17 AM
by getting a judge to issue an injunction against the city for knowingly timing the lights in a manner that is hazardous to motorists in order to make money.... like some kind of organized crime syndicate.

mattyb
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
In oz the the image is recorded only when the light has been red when u first went through it. I had a mate who used to work at the processing centre and they veiwed the images before sending the infringement to see exactly how good their evidence was. so maybe if u are on the cusp of the light changing there might not be a ticket. lets hope so.

attack eagle
01-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Be glad you aren't in texas.
they do not issue the ticket to the driver of the vehicle, but rather the registered owner.

IF the registered owner provides information to indicate another person was driving, they will mail a ticket to that person, and after 90 days it is the registered owner's responsibility again.

IE you get a ticket, you aren't getting out of it here. they passed a law specifically to MAKE this ticketing of the car owner and not the operator legal.
AS a result I plan on purchasing one of those plate covers to "fight back". OR riding a bike thru the intersection and seeing if I can trigger it.
I know I saw a guy waiting to turn and he backed up after the light turned red and triggered it...

what a scam.

Karl
01-01-2007, 10:01 AM
On the other hand...
I lived in Albuquerque a for few years--and several years ago. People running the red light was such a problem I always looked both ways before starting after my light turned green. I got rear ended by a guy making a play for the yellow/red light once. I didn't even make a particularly hard stop, had a moment to contemplate the red light in front of me before getting tagged.
Here in Wichita it's less noticeable, but still common enough to make me wonder why cops bother with radar. They could fill their quotas just with folks failing to stop for the red light. One memorable case I saw was where the red light runner was so late he went behind the first car starting out on his green light. Didn't notice a cell phone...

But don't get me started on that topic