PDA

View Full Version : e34 Swaybar ?"s ...HELP

shelbyz4u2nv
12-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to say i LOVE these cars and everything about them. I'm a tech for Volvo and i must say that these old school bimmers out perform new technology any day of the week...who wants a COMPUTER to drive the car...anyways i have a question

it's been bothering me ever since i bought her. the sway bars installed in my 95' 540i 6 are royal blue in color, are 3 way adjustable front and rear and have blue poly mounts...i can't seem to find any bars that match this description...here is a pic of the front bar...any info would be great
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/swaybar.jpg

Also ive been doing research and still dont beleive that this is stock ride hight, struts are factory and no markings on the springs...? was there an option from the factory to get the sport suspension, seats, ect without it being a true "SPORT"? i know those are rare....Thanx guys

FRONT
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/front.jpg

REAR
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/rear.jpg

Kalevera
12-30-2006, 04:12 PM
The later style Racing Dynamics? I think it says the same on the bushing.

Car definitely looks lowered from stock. What are the rear struts? The sport interior is stock for any manual transmission 540 model year '95 car.

GoldenOne
12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
thats more then likely racing dynamics as i just bought a bar from them thats that color lol

Jehu
12-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I thought RD too at first and yes these cars did have a "Sport" lowered suspension;Vehicle information
VIN long WBAHE5328SGA64425
Type code HE53
Type 540I (USA)
Dev. series E34 ()
Line 5
Body type LIM
Steering LL
Door count 4
Engine M60/2
Cubical capacity 4.00
Power 210
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour OXFORDGRUEN METALLIC (324)
Upholstery LEDER BISON US/PERGAMENT (L3PE)
Prod. date 1994-12-13

Order options
No. Description
214 AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL+TRACTION
240 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
243 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER
245 STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT ELEC
279 BMW LM RAD OHNE NOTLAUFEIGENSCHAFTEN
302 ALARM SYSTEM
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W MEMORY F DRIVER
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
640 CAR TELEPHONE PREPARATION
686 DIVERSITY-FUNCTION AERIAL
694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER

*::704 M SPORT SUSPENSION ::*

818 MAIN BATTERY SWITCH
900 APPR. VEH.IMMOBILIZAT. ACC. TO AZT/TUEV
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

I also see you say you have a Jim C Chip so i'm going to guess you have an original Nikasil block?If not then i hope you can tell me how the car got a Jim C chip.

markus
12-30-2006, 06:47 PM
do u have a better shot of your car? the M parallels and lowered suspension makes is a teaser.

Johntee540
12-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought all the 95 540/6 cars were sports? Also - as I was corrected earlier this week :) The Blue Sways that are adjustable are in fact Racing Dynamics. They are shown in my Cardomain site in the link below - JT

Johntee540
12-30-2006, 10:55 PM
I dont understand your question about the JimC Chip? They were widely available and people put them in these cars all the time. I am not sure why you assume the JimC Chip and Nikasil Block are related. I have seen 3 or 4 that already had them in them from previous Owners when bought by their current owners. - JT

Jehu
12-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I dont understand your question about the JimC Chip? They were widely available and people put them in these cars all the time. I have seen 3 or 4 that have had them when bought by their owners. - JT

My car had the Alusil short block swapped in and apparently there was a new chip installed different from the original which came with the Nikasil block cars when shipped from the factory.I took my car as it is now, drove it to Turner Motor Sports in Amesbury,Ma as its just an hour away and asked them to put a Jim C chip in it. They took the car into the garage and in a few minutes came out to me with the DME in hand and said ;" we can't make you a chip because your DME has a number for which we don't have the data or whatever they normally use to program a new chip. I called BMW USA who said call a Dealership. I went to a dealership who said they had nothing they could do but they did find out which dealership did the s\block swap and i called them.They said whatever they used they got from Germany and kept nothing that would allow anyone else to program me a substitute chip and i might want to try BMW's engineering dept in Deutschland. MarkD says if i can read my chip and email him the data he can program me a chip but i haven't seen where i could get what it takes to read the chip and i am also puzzled as to why if its that easy,Turner Motor Sports didn't suggest they could do that as i imagine they have the equipment on hand to read chips.

shelbyz4u2nv
12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
do u have a better shot of your car? the M parallels and lowered suspension makes is a teaser.

heres some pics...enjoy...:D....SO IF IT IS ALREADY LOWERED IT'S POINTLESS TO GET BAV AUTO SPRINGS, EIBACH, ECT...JUST DO A REBUILD, YES? what type of struts/shocks? recomendations anyone? i want her to handle like a dream, more than she already does...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/Picture435.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/0.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/Shelbyzt2/00.jpg

shelbyz4u2nv
12-31-2006, 01:40 AM
so which DME # came with what block?

BillionPa
12-31-2006, 04:34 AM
... does that bushing say Dinan???

BillionPa
12-31-2006, 04:38 AM
anyways... Eibach/Koni, 20mm rear and 26mm front swaybars, replace all those worn out front suspension parts, new rear subframe mounts, quaife rear diff, and lose a ton of weight from the car.

Johntee540
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
My car had the Alusil short block swapped in and there was a another chip installed that was different from the original chip which came with the Nikasil block cars shipped from the factory.I took my car as it is now, drove it to Turner Motor Sports in Amesbury,Ma as its just an hour away and asked them to put a Jim C chip in it. They took the car into the garage and in a few minutes came out to me with the DME in hand and said ;" we can't make you a chip because your DME has a number for which we don't have the data or whatever they normally use to program a new chip. I called BMW USA who said call a Dealership. I went to a dealership who said they had nothing they could do but they did find out which dealership did the s\block swap and i called them.They said whatever they used they got from Germany and kept nothing that would allow anyone else to program me a substitute chip and i might want to try BMW's engineering dept in Deutschland. MarkD says if i can read my chip and email him the data he can program me a chip but i haven't seen where i could get what it takes to read the chip and i am also puzzled as to why if its that easy,Turner Motor Sports didn't suggest they could do that as i imagine they have the equipment on hand to read chips.

It is correct that you can only chip certain ECU. It is also correct that some of the 540's had their ECU's swapped out in an effort to use software to correct the Nikasil problem. Many of the cars were given these new ECU in order to somehow increase the running temps of the cars so they would burn hotter and subsequently use all the fuel in the cylinder during combustion. This is what I think may be the case with your car.

My car had the Alusil block replacement but it was after they discovered that the ECU Change wasnt working. So whoever changed the block left the original ECU that came with the car. So - Imagine this. I went and bought the MarkD Chip to put in. I open my ECU and find I have the Turner Chip in it already.

I ended up buying another ECU from Ebay. I use the MarkD Chip for day-to-day driving and the Turner Chip for Track days. I just swap out the ECU.

I had often wondered about what people with the "Hotter ECU's" would do for chipping. My solution / suggestion would include buying the "404" ECU off Ebay - putting the turner chip in - and swapping the whole ECU. However I am looking for input from someone else that has the Dealer modified ECU to share what they did for ECU Mapping. But those were just my idea - I did discuss it with some BMW Techs and they agreed it would work.

JT

Jehu
12-31-2006, 01:12 PM
It is correct that you can only chip certain ECU. It is also correct that some of the 540's had their ECU's swapped out in an effort to use software to correct the Nikasil problem. Many of the cars were given these new ECU in order to somehow increase the running temps of the cars so they would burn hotter and subsequently use all the fuel in the cylinder during combustion. This is what I think may be the case with your car.

My car had the Alusil block replacement but it was after they discovered that the ECU Change wasnt working. So whoever changed the block left the original ECU that came with the car. So - Imagine this. I went and bought the MarkD Chip to put in. I open my ECU and find I have the Turner Chip in it already.

I ended up buying another ECU from Ebay. I use the MarkD Chip for day-to-day driving and the Turner Chip for Track days. I just swap out the ECU.

I had often wondered about what people with the "Hotter ECU's" would do for chipping. My solution / suggestion would include buying the "404" ECU off Ebay - putting the turner chip in - and swapping the whole ECU. However I am looking for input from someone else that has the Dealer modified ECU to share what they did for ECU Mapping. But those were just my idea - I did discuss it with some BMW Techs and they agreed it would work.

JT

You mean swap in one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-DME-ECU-740-540-530-i-engine-computer-0-261-200-404_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQhashZitem806 5504863QQihZ019QQitemZ8065504863QQrdZ1QQsspagename ZWDVW#ebayphotohosting)and have Turner/JimC make a chip for that?