PDA

View Full Version : OT Rant! Shoddy roadwork

BlueM60
12-30-2006, 03:02 AM
I know this rant seems stupid, but after driving a good bit today, and after a few beers tonight, Im pissed. I keep seeing this same scenario in Ga where I live, dont know of other areas. Whenever roadwork is performed (ie resurface, replace a patch, fill pothole etc) it seems the workers have no idea how to smoothly transition the new repair with the old blacktop. The causeway that leads to the island here used to be glass smooth. recently they've decided to repave the whole 7-8 miles. Now theres section-after-section of drop-offs and step-ups which feel like Im tearing the suspension off my poor 5 as I slam down then up each one. WHY is it so difficult to create a smooth ramp or somthing instead of the 2-3 inch shelf that is created when new pavement is encountered? In a lowered car thats a really harsh hit. I know this rant seems unfounded but I hate slamming my suspension over ineven pavement when the idiot doing the roadwork could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right. I hope someone else feels the same.....anybody? No more beer for me tonight.

-Ben

LunatiC
12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
In Melbourne, Australia where I live there is roadwork jobs done here where the road isn't as smooth as it should be, but 2-3 inches sounds quite excessive.

Have you tried contacting your local authorities/council over there? (not sure if councils exist in GA) If they refuse, try sending them the bill for any suspension/alignment damage that you might encounter in the near future, they might listen after that.

indierthanthou
12-30-2006, 09:32 AM
sounds like the way it is up here in michigan. but i might move to the duluth, GA area, i have a few friends down that way, if you dont mind my asking, would you happen to know if theres decent amounts of jobs down there/ cheap rent? dont wanna hijack the thread, so pm me if you want

BlueM60
12-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh, no bother. I dont see this thread going too far anyway :)
I dont actually live in the ATL area but used to, its a big city so there are surely plenty of jobs available. Mind if I ask what line of work?

-Ben

Jehu
12-30-2006, 12:01 PM
I know this rant seems stupid, but after driving a good bit today, and after a few beers tonight, I'm pissed. I keep seeing this same scenario in Ga where I live, dont know of other areas. Whenever roadwork is performed (ie resurface, replace a patch, fill pothole etc) it seems the workers have no idea how to smoothly transition the new repair with the old blacktop. The causeway that leads to the island here used to be glass smooth. recently they've decided to repave the whole 7-8 miles. Now theres section-after-section of drop-offs and step-ups which feel like I'm tearing the suspension off my poor 5 as I slam down then up each one. WHY is it so difficult to create a smooth ramp or something instead of the 2-3 inch shelf that is created when new pavement is encountered? In a lowered car thats a really harsh hit. I know this rant seems unfounded but I hate slamming my suspension over ineven pavement when the idiot doing the roadwork could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right. I hope someone else feels the same.....anybody? No more beer for me tonight.

-Ben

Make some noise .Find out who's in charge and send letters to THEIR SUPERIORS .Maybe that's your state legislators.Send letters to the editor of your major news papers and TV stations. I live in NH where the roads are conspicuously well maintained. They fix them promptly and well the first time,for the most traveled roads.The back country roads can be rough but there are a lot of them and they are fixing them .Massachusetts,The Gay State ,on the other hand is just like your description of your roads so maybe you could use that as incentive to shame your state into fixing the roads.Tell them they're like Massachusetts and that should light a fire under someone.

indierthanthou
12-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Plumbing, most likely.

632 Regal
12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
wish I could get the _uck outta here too! I am a prisoner.
sounds like the way it is up here in michigan. but i might move to the duluth, GA area, i have a few friends down that way, if you dont mind my asking, would you happen to know if theres decent amounts of jobs down there/ cheap rent? dont wanna hijack the thread, so pm me if you want

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
you are extremely lucky to have any roadwork performed at all. Here in Montreal, the roads are like driving in Beirut - it's huge potholes, cracks, holes, you name it. Lowered cars drive at their own peril and wheels above 18 inchs don't last more than a month.

BlueM60
12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Yea, I suppose it's not that bad. After reading a few poles, supposedly Ga has the best roads in the country. I havent had any suspension damage yet due to the faulty road repairs, but it still makes my ass pucker when I see a large step-up coming, then feel my poor car slam over top of it.

BlueM60
12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Hmm, well Im not too involved in the field, but I wouldnt see why youd have any problem. Duluth is a beautiful area, my dad had an office there for a number of years. I think you'll like it.

-Ben

genphreak
12-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Yea, I suppose it's not that bad. After reading a few poles, supposedly Ga has the best roads in the country. I havent had any suspension damage yet due to the faulty road repairs, but it still makes my ass pucker when I see a large step-up coming, then feel my poor car slam over top of it.Here in Sydney they leave man-hole covers 3" below the road level all the time. A junction in the middle of the city that handles 600,000 cars a day over three lanes has one like that. Even a little damage to 600,000 cars, xxx times a year makes an enormous bill from someone's lazy ass atttitude. It was like that for over 7 years. After they did a major re-surface it is now down to 1". That is what we call progress here.

I used to think that complaining would be a good idea. Was even going to create a website where people could post pics of the road in their area in.

But here they throw the finger pointing into a pool of its not our fault it's the council, or the water board, or the state government, or the roads authority, or the commonwealth government...

I am starting to think that drive by abuse of road workers might have more effect...

Maybe we should put our State Premier onto a bitumen team for a night and after finishing up take some pics of all the sub-surfaced man-hole covers, poor joins and 3 day fixes. Then some change would happen cos he would have thought the job well done after collapsing the next morning in the many waves of fatigue that only a beurocrat can feel. No pollie would risk it after copping the political fallout from that.

But I guess that is why a Pollie would never risk such a thing... its all up to your 5er's suspension! Moral of this story- DON'T lower your 5er! :D

genphreak
12-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Make some noise .Find out who's in charge and send letters to THEIR SUPERIORS .Maybe that's your state legislators.Send letters to the editor of your major news papers and TV stations. I live in NH where the roads are conspicuously well maintained. They fix them promptly and well the first time,for the most traveled roads.The back country roads can be rough but there are a lot of them and they are fixing them .Massachusetts,The Gay State ,on the other hand is just like your description of your roads so maybe you could use that as incentive to shame your state into fixing the roads.Tell them they're like Massachusetts and that should light a fire under someone.You still bangin' on about gay people Jehu? What has a comment like that got to do with roads?

You might find it strange but there are less members on here than you might think that enjoy incitement of hatred against minorities 4FS.

Jehu
12-30-2006, 07:36 PM
What the feck are you talking about now?Because i refer to my home state, the state in which was was born and raised ,which has been known as "The Bay State" as long as its been around in reference to the Massachusetts Bay formed by Cape Cod but which has now become the first State in my Nation to Officially give God the finger or whatever gesture you antipodean Neanderthals use to denote derision by Calling what two depraved, degenerate perverts do to one another,Marriage ,AS The Gay State YOU call me out?Buddy,you can go pound sand.

LunatiC
12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
O... Kay...

Moving back on topic, Jehu you must take some sort of action. The fact is your tax is paying for those roads, and they've done a shithouse job.

Jehu
12-30-2006, 07:52 PM
My taxes pay for the roads in my State which are wonderful. I am not responsible for that slacker fag state to my south.

genphreak
12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
What the feck are you talking about now?Because i refer to my home state, the state in which was was born and raised ,which has been known as "The Bay State" as long as its been around in reference to the Massachusetts Bay formed by Cape Cod but which has now become the first State in my Nation to Officially give God the finger or whatever gesture you antipodean Neanderthals use to denote derision by Calling what two depraved, degenerate perverts do to one another,Marriage ,AS The Gay State YOU call me out?Buddy,you can go pound sand.Oh I get it now. Thanks for making it clear to me you are not as far off the wall as I was starting to think. Still seems like a weird comment though.

It certainly assumed that all of us understand local US politics, so that was the risk you took with 'being called out'. Some people deliberately act like that online and I know you no better.

Regardless, your comments towards me continue to demonstrate a pathologicial hatred of a chosen group that is nothing short of forum pollution. Perhaps you could consult someone you respect as much as God about not hating fellow people, it really is a bore.

BTW; The fact that I am not gay just underscores the precariousness of your position. I just don't like all this stirring.

rickm
12-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I feel a photoshop coming on..."Jehu, come out of the closet!"

Jehu
12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh I get it now. Thanks for making it clear to me you are not as far off the wall as I was starting to think. Still seems like a weird comment though.

It certainly assumed that all of us understand local US politics, so that was the risk you took with 'being called out'. Some people deliberately act like that online and I know you no better.

Regardless, your comments towards me continue to demonstrate a pathologicial hatred of a chosen group that is nothing short of forum pollution. Perhaps you could consult someone you respect as much as God about not hating fellow people, it really is a bore.

BTW; The fact that I am not gay just underscores the precariousness of your position. I just don't like all this stirring.

Then don't YOU bring it up. You are as much as insisting I renounce my firmly held and spiritually informed world views for some obscure minority fringe group so identified exclusively by their choice in unnatural sexual behaviors.The fact that this utterly objectionable practice has slithered its way into some special legally protected status is an absolute outrage and you'll sooner turn the Sun black as see me abandon my stance.We went thru this already before so let it go now again.I had to block your posts last time for a while.
If you're such a tolerant bloke maybe you should look into why your big hearted compassion doesn't extend to me and the overwhelming vast majority of taxpaying,healthy,well adjusted citizens world wide who are nauseated by the mere thought of this practice and pi$$ed off that our governments are bending over for this minuscule but bellicose minority and tearing down the very fabric with which our Civilization has been able to flourish.

632 Regal
12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Hahaha... I liked it better when they stayed in the closets.

I feel a photoshop coming on..."Jehu, come out of the closet!"

LunatiC
12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
My taxes pay for the roads in my State which are wonderful. I am not responsible for that slacker fag state to my south.

Ahh crap sorry, I thought you were the original poster.

In that case...

BlueM60 you must take some sort of action. The fact is your tax is paying for those roads, and they've done a shithouse job.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:18 PM
You still bangin' on about gay people Jehu? What has a comment like that got to do with roads?

You might find it strange but there are less members on here than you might think that enjoy incitement of hatred against minorities 4FS.

yeah i completely agree. it's a pretty disgusting attitude and I don't see what it has to do with the 5 series.

if this jehu character is offended by massachusetts, then Canada must be a total nightmare to you, because we don't discriminate towards people based on their race, creed or lifestyle choices. From the strength of his posts I assume that if he ever crossed our border he would immediately projectile vomit.

Jehu
12-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Canada is dead to me.As far as I'm concerned the map goes from the northern US border to the North Pole. There's nothing else worth noting up there.As for topical relevance,I was remarking about the abominable road conditions in the State which places an inordinately high priority on screwing the majority of its Citizenry to placate a vocal minority.If you as a Homosexual are offended at being recognized by that singular behavior you should repent therefrom.Don't ask me to deny what you are because you can't live with it and don't act offended when you are identified by others as you identify yourself.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:24 PM
If you're such a tolerant bloke maybe you should look into why your big hearted compassion doesn't extend to me and the overwhelming vast majority of taxpaying,healthy,well adjusted citizens world wide who are nauseated by the mere thought of this practice and pi$$ed off that our governments are bending over for this minuscule but bellicose minority and tearing down the very fabric with which our Civilization has been able to flourish.

hate to break it to you, but "our Civilization" was based on the greek and roman concepts of government and democracy, and well, greek and roman society was gayer than a french horn. So try opening a history book sometime.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Canada is dead to me.As far as I'm concerened the map goes from the northern US border to the North Pole. There's nothing else worth noting up there.

Well Mass isn't dead to me, in fact, my gf is from Mass, and my head office is down there. So I guess i am lucky to have met so many great people from that state and that your bigoted words haven't caused me to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of one of their number. I'm honestly surprised you can locate the north pole on a map. I guess there is no end to what can be accomplished with Special Ed in our modern times.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Roads in mass are quite nice, by the way. Much Much better than in Montreal.

Alexlind123
12-30-2006, 10:30 PM
hate to break it to you, but "our Civilization" was based on the greek and roman concepts of government and democracy, and well, greek and roman society was gayer than a french horn. So try opening a history book sometime.

Actually, the history books in the US (or at least mine) said nothing about that.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Actually, the history books in the US (or at least mine) said nothing about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Ancient_Greece

The ancient Greeks did not conceive of sexual orientation as a social identifier, as Western societies have done for the past century. In the ancient Greek context, the terms "homosexual" and "heterosexual" are properly used only to describe activities, not identities. Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants, but by the extent to which such desire or behavior conformed to social norms. These norms were based on gender, age and social status.

They just had a different cultural view of sexuality - something I can see we are all encountering right now on this board ! :p

Jehu
12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Roads in mass are quite nice, by the way. Much Much better than in Montreal.
and if you drive thru New Hampshire without being able to see the glaring difference in the conditions of our roads compared to the Gay State's then you need glasses or an infusion of honesty. I drive and have driven in Mass for the last 11 years about 60,000 miles a year thru all the Northeast US.I know of what I speak.The fact that you choose to make personal remarks in this context reveals your character perhaps more than you realize. I have not directed my disdain at any individual person for any behavior not directed at me, there's a big difference in what I say about an element of human behavior and what you've said to an individual person based on their world view.From now on save your breath i won't be seeing any more of your posts as i'm sure i can keep my Bimmer running without your contributions.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
.If you as a Homosexual are offended at being recognized by that singular behavior you should repent therefrom.Don't ask me to deny what you are because you can't live with it and don't act offended when you are identified by others as you identify yourself.

haha this is a hilarious edited post. I am offended by your bigotry, therefore I MUST be homosexual! In fact, I have a girlfriend, previously mentioned in this thread, who is in fact from your home state! It is like you are reading from the official bigot playbook, and making all the predictable statements one right after the other! Are all bigots this predictable?

It honestly disgusts me that people like yourself call themselves "Christian", and then other Christians, such as myself, are perceived by others to be intolerant *******s as a result of your actions.

and if you drive thru New Hampshire without being able to see the glaring difference in the conditions of our roads compared to the Gay State's then you need glasses or an infusion of honesty. I drive and have driven in Mass for the last 11 years about 60,000 miles a year thru all the Northeast US.I know of what I speak.The fact that you choose to make personal remarks in this context reveals your character perhaps more than you realize. I have not directed my disdain at any individual person for any behavior not directed at me, there's a big difference in what I say about an element of human behavior and what you've said to an individual person based on their world view.From now on save your breath i won't be seeing any more of your posts as i'm sure i can keep my Bimmer running without your contributions.

you are right, insulting an entire group of people is infinitely preferable to focusing on an individual's actions. As for your ability to resist the temptation of the "View Post" button....well, it has broken stronger men than I! Good luck!

P.S. - I hear a tinfoil hat keeps the gay away.

Alexlind123
12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Ancient_Greece

They just had a different cultural view of sexuality - something I can see we are all encountering right now on this board ! :p

I didnt say i didnt believe you. I knew that myself. I was just saying that its not in our history books.

repenttokyo
12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
I didnt say i didnt believe you. I knew that myself. I was just saying that its not in our history books.

fair enough - sorry to misunderstand you :)

indierthanthou
12-30-2006, 10:49 PM
ha, whereabouts? Im in the DELIGHTFUL town of port huron [/end sarcasm] i cant think of a better place to escape from

rickm
12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I know this rant seems stupid, but after driving a good bit today, and after a few beers tonight, Im pissed.

Once you are in a better mood and aren't reeling from your single beer drunk :D contact the GA DOT. Visit their website and look for the name of one of the DOT engineers or regional people. Tell him, in nice terms, that you drove over a set road the bumps are pretty bad. They can either have the contractor adjust those areas or put up "bump ahead/drop offs" signs in those areas so you'll at least be aware of them before you get air.

One one of my routes for work I pass over a bridge that has some fairly large potholes. One of the staff who lives in the area called the DOT and starting bitching - she went nuts. After a week? Same potholes were still there. I got an email address and wrote the person, giving him the bridge ID and a location of the hole. The next afternoon the holes were patched.

That failing, does your local paper have a "traffic" section or reporter who deals with issues like this? If so see if he can get on the DOT - I know that the paper in the town I used to live in had a guy like this, he was very effective in getting issues resolved.

As a bureaucrat you will get more flies with honey than with vinegar. :) If I worked for GA instead of NC I'd go so far as to make a call for you.

genphreak
12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
and if you drive thru New Hampshire without being able to see the glaring difference in the conditions of our roads compared to the Gay State's then you need glasses or an infusion of honesty. I drive and have driven in Mass for the last 11 years about 60,000 miles a year thru all the Northeast US.I know of what I speak.The fact that you choose to make personal remarks in this context reveals your character perhaps more than you realize. I have not directed my disdain at any individual person for any behavior not directed at me, there's a big difference in what I say about an element of human behavior and what you've said to an individual person based on their world view.From now on save your breath i won't be seeing any more of your posts as i'm sure i can keep my Bimmer running without your contributions.Can you ban me from your forum views too? You need a censorship mechanism to avoid any challenge to your righteous point of views on other people's preferences. Best for you someone like you to stay home and avoid outside influences. Learning what makes the world go round might get too scary when spouting this kind of unbelievable logic:

'I have not directed my disdain at any individual person'...

What on earth makes it okay to demonise or otherwise abuse entire groups of individuals? Oh wait, yes you gave me the answer to this- your accusation that they perform 'unnatural' acts. LOL As if there was ever a time when homosexuality didn't exist in humans... or where you live are they all kept in the closet?

OK I'll try to figure your POV out some more... back in the beginning when there were only 2 humans after the great Creation, how do we know Adam avoided all impure thoughts even after he and Eve were married and she lost some of her allure. And, did your holy teachers ever admit to you that he abused his Son? Would they even know if he did? He would not be the first person in the Church to do this... many have a history of such things that could even contribute to turning some people towards homosexuality.

But similarly to all this, how is your public abuse of a group of people you clearly misunderstand (and apparently consequently despise) in the context of road quality acceptable?

Didn't the Romans (as well as the Nazis) have a lot of problems with the Jews' customs too? Both of us obviously understand how they used these things to incite hatred, but how exactly can anything make such crap acceptable?

I am not so 'tolerant' by the way, I'm normal: I try hard to understand others before giving into any evil emotion such as hatred. Understanding you is still not working. How come anyone should put up with you crapping on about such rubbish is beyond me.

BillionPa
12-31-2006, 04:29 AM
... jesus!

mattyb
12-31-2006, 09:22 PM
yeah!!! **** fight!!!!!

mattyb
12-31-2006, 09:25 PM
"LOL As if there was ever a time when homosexuality didn't exist in humans... or where you live are they all kept in the closet?"

- and dont forget those same sex lovin monkey !!!!!!