PDA

View Full Version : Question on M50 alu thermostat housing gasket

colo525i
12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm replacing a sticky thermostat and upgrading to an alu housing on my M50. The real oem diagram shows two gaskets. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1503&hg=11&fg=35
The car is 1/92 build, and specs an early flat style gasket. Do i use that or the later style gasket as i'm using the metal housing?

Bill R.
12-29-2006, 11:43 PM
not had a groove in the aluminum housing for the profile gasket which is like a oval oring. They only took the flat paper gasket on the aluminum thermostat housing. The plastic housing has a groove in it for the profile gasket.

I'm replacing a sticky thermostat and upgrading to an alu housing on my M50. The real oem diagram shows two gaskets. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1503&hg=11&fg=35
The car is 1/92 build, and specs an early flat style gasket. Do i use that or the later style gasket as i'm using the metal housing?

Guapo
12-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Impossible to say without looking. I had an alum. housing on my car that used a flat gasket. When I replaced the housing, I received and alum. one that had a groove for the rubber profile gasket.

winfred
12-30-2006, 12:17 AM
the factory aluminum housing that came on the non vanos cars is flat with no groove and uses the paper gasket and round black o-ring for the thermostat, the aftermarket aluminum housing is patterned after the plastic housing and uses the black round thermostat o-ring and the funny shaped orange rubber seal that goes in a groove on the upper radiator hose side of the housing

fujioko
12-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I replaced the thermostat on my ’92 M50 last week ( aluminum housing). I asked the auto parts store for any gaskets required. The dude said all the gaskets were in the box with the thermostat.

I pull off the thermostat housing on the car and discovered no gasket between the aluminum housing and the engine. Only a O-ring around the thermostat.

The thermostat box only contained the round O-ring.

That seemed really stupid, but BMW knows best, anyway I resurfaced the housing and applies 4011 flange sealant (used for motorcycle engine cases).

Works perfect.

Oh, I also drilled a very tiny hole in the thermostat and installed the thermostat with the hole on the upside.

The car runs about a tick below normal. Plenty of heat.