PDA

View Full Version : Motor Replaced @ 60k

hinchcliffe
04-22-2004, 06:01 AM
I was told that my 4.0 V8 was replaced due to the Sulphur issues @ 60k miles. Of course this is the only paper work I didn't get. I have the service booklet and the stamps date back to '98 and 58k miles. Work done at BMW Dealership in Sarasota, FLA. If I call them and give them the VIN# you guys think I can get copies of the receipts? Motor was replaced under warranty and mileage looks like it would've been done at that dealership? Or can any dealership check into it and tell me when it was replaced? Any info would be great.

Curt
'95 540 6-spd
'87 928S4 5-spd

MikeV
04-22-2004, 07:59 AM
I was told that my 4.0 V8 was replaced due to the Sulphur issues @ 60k miles. Of course this is the only paper work I didn't get. I have the service booklet and the stamps date back to '98 and 58k miles. Work done at BMW Dealership in Sarasota, FLA. If I call them and give them the VIN# you guys think I can get copies of the receipts? Motor was replaced under warranty and mileage looks like it would've been done at that dealership? Or can any dealership check into it and tell me when it was replaced? Any info would be great.

The good news: Call the dealership, ask for service, most of them are very good about checking these things for you. You could also try BMW North America. When I bought my car, it came with zero records, but by calling around to several dealers beforehand I was able to piece together 80% of the service history
The bad news: The block replacement might not show up in their records. On my car the block replacement was apparently done by an indy under a 3rd-party extended warranty. No dealership from NJ to CT had any record of it, and neither did BMW NA. But sure enough, the casting numbers on my block indicate alusil.... The only well to be 100% certain is to check the block casting numbers.

hinchcliffe
04-22-2004, 12:34 PM
How do I check the numbers? And what numbers mean Alusil?

MikeV
04-22-2004, 12:39 PM
How do I check the numbers? And what numbers mean Alusil?

Read about it here. (http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm)