PDA

View Full Version : John Deere HIR bulbs

Russell
12-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Some of you may have tried the 9012 HIR low beam bulbs made by Toshiba. You can get them on e-bay for about $25-30 each. They have to be altered similar the 9005 bulbs to fit in the low beam. They are reputed to be much brighter without the heat or surrent draw of many high output bulbs.

You can only use these bulbs in applications that take the 9006 (lo-beam) and 9005 (hi-beam) std halogen bulbs. The HIR 9012 (lo-beam) and HIR 9011 (hi-beam) bulbs have to be modified somewhat because their upper positioning tab is not the same as that on the 9006 or 9005.

Here is another source at a much cheaper price. Call or go to your local John Deere dealer. Part number for low beams is AH211917. This is the same Toshiba HIR bulb Depending on the dealer, they range in price from $10-$13 EACH. I bought one about $10 to try out. It was the only one they had at the moment. If it works, I will buy another. They are found on 9000 series tractor. Will still have to get hi-beam elsewhere. I heard Daniel Stern sells the hi-beam and lo-beam as well.

shanek
12-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Excellent find! I did a google search and it looks like people have picked them up for around $13cad. I think I paid a little over $30 for them from Daniel Stern last year. I'll see if I can find another set locally and compare them.

Russell
12-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Anyone use? I installed one on passenger side last night and left it on for about 5 minutes. Heat on the housing seemed about the same as my modified 9005 bulb. No warning message on dash. Looked brighter, not whiter. I want to make sure it works. I understand it is a 55 watt bulb, therefore there should be no problem. TIA

Robert K
12-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I've been doing a bit of research on increasing the lighting in my 1991 535i. These are supposed to be the best bulbs you can buy other than going to HID. I've read that they aren't supposed to create any additional heat and that they shouldn't throw up any warning messages either. They are of the same wattage as the regular bulbs. It's the technology involved that makes them shine brighter for the same wattage. Thanks for the info. You just saved me about $30 a pair for the ones I'm going to get for my low beams. By the way, if you want them in your high beams, I'd just remove the little raised nibs in their sockets and plug them into your high beams. Even though they won't be the higher wattage bulbs, they should still put out more light than a high wattage stock bulb. Try reading this post for more info:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/lighting/3601688-1.html

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

shanek
12-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I've had mine for a little over a year now and haven't had any issues. They aren't a whiter light, they are just brighter. They also light farther down the road than the 9006 bulbs.

632 Regal
12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
definetly need the part number for the high beams, Id try them in the lows to see if they are brighter.

Russell
12-30-2006, 09:25 PM
John Deere does not have the hi-beam bulb so I have been told. I have not checked though.

bfd
12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Some of you may have tried the 9012 HIR low beam bulbs made by Toshiba. You can get them on e-bay for about $25-30 each. They have to be altered similar the 9005 bulbs to fit in the low beam. They are reputed to be much brighter without the heat or surrent draw of many high output bulbs.

You can only use these bulbs in applications that take the 9006 (lo-beam) and 9005 (hi-beam) std halogen bulbs. The HIR 9012 (lo-beam) and HIR 9011 (hi-beam) bulbs have to be modified somewhat because their upper positioning tab is not the same as that on the 9006 or 9005.

Here is another source at a much cheaper price. Call or go to your local John Deere dealer. Part number for low beams is AH211917. This is the same Toshiba HIR bulb Depending on the dealer, they range in price from $10-$13 EACH. I bought one about $10 to try out. It was the only one they had at the moment. If it works, I will buy another. They are found on 9000 series tractor. Will still have to get hi-beam elsewhere. I heard Daniel Stern sells the hi-beam and lo-beam as well.

Good fine! One question, does anyone know if John Deere parts are sold at places like Lowes, Home Depot, Sears or any other place. I'm in San Francisco, and there aren't any John Deere dealers near me. Alternatively, can anyone recommend a mail order place for these bulbs? Thanks!

Russell
12-31-2006, 02:02 PM
On line order from John Deere. You can go online and order directly from John deere anywhere in the US after you set up an account. John Deere has a dealer locator http://dealerlocator.deere.com/servlet/DealerLocator?selectLocale=en_US&showLocales=en_US:en_CA:fr_CA:es_MX&selectCountry=USA&showCountries=USA:CAN&locator=3

However, it will be in afilliation with a local dealer who can then ship them to you if you are too far distant. I just did this on my second bulb. However, I plan to pick it up.