PDA

View Full Version : Style 5 wheels...a labor of love

Robert K
12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Just got done washing the old 1991 535i with 17" style 5 wheels. Even since I was a kid reading Car and Driver, I always loved the old BBS RS wheels. So, when I got my 535i about 6 years ago, it only seemed natural to track down a set of style 5's and put them on, which I did. They are absolutely the classic BBS wheels and are beautiful to behold. But...they are a total pain to clean and keep clean. I mean if you're really going to clean them properly, you have to clean every nook and cranny as well as in between each and every spoke. I figure to clean and dry them (can't have any hard water spots on them) probably costs me an extra 15-30 minutes over time it takes me to wash and dry the car. And let's not forget that at least once during the year, you really need to take them off, scrub them as clean as possible and then polish and wax them to keep them in good shape.

So what's the point of all of this dialogue??? Although style 5 wheels are beautiful and will certainly improve the looks of your BMW, make sure you have the necessary level of commitment before purchasing them. They require a certain amount of love, patience and devotion. In return, they will make you smile each time you approach your car in a parking lot and say, "Damn, those are nice wheels!"

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i (with very clean style 5 wheels)

repenttokyo
12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
i had similar style wheels on my Lincoln Mark VIII - i share your pain regarding keeping all the nooks and crannies clean - it's an intense labour of love!

winfred
12-29-2006, 06:31 PM
i have a set of style 5s for sale at the shop, they come with a free 99 528i sport :D

CharlesAFerg
12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
ahh come on they're not that hard to take care of! A fluffy wash mit will get in between!

Besides, mine have clearcoat on them :-D

Derek A.
12-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Start with dustless pads. Don't go weeks between washings. Keep a coat of wax on em. They hold up pretty good.

e39dream
12-30-2006, 01:03 AM
I find them pretty simple to care for. I have developed a system to wash them with a microfiber cloth in each hand, using 2 left fingers covered in cloth for the "Y" and 3 right fingers covered in cloth for between the "Y"s . Then use both hands at the top to wipe out the dish and rivets.

I bet I look silly fingering my rims but they look good!

Jr ///M5
12-30-2006, 09:33 AM
https://publish.insightbb.com/personalfile/personalsite/england31/DSCN1501.JPG

Yes, a labor of love Robert. Classic BMW style that really enhances the chiseled lines of the E34. Speaking of the number 34, there are exactly 34 titanium rivits that are used to hold the two piece wheel together, further proof that the E34 was a car far ahead of it's time.

John B.
12-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Did these wheels ever come in a 16" size?

Jr ///M5
12-30-2006, 09:48 AM
The 17" variety was developed for the E39 sport model, thus required the use of hub centric centering rings for use on the E34. There were 16's made but I believe they were only in the motherland, Germany?

Robert K
12-30-2006, 10:03 AM
The Raybestos pads help quite a bit over the stock pads as far as dust goes. And I too try to wax them at least once every year or two. That also helps keep them clean and make them come clean easier come wash time. However, compared to the old Mille Miglia MM11 5 spoke wheels I used to have, these things take much longer to get squeeky clean.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

LunatiC
12-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Even though I don't have Style 5 split-rims like you all have (I'm still riding on 15" basketweaves here), however I do appreciate how much time and effort it takes to clean these rims. I get a lot of brake dust on my front pads, I personally use a Scotch-Brite pad (never use the green bit though!), the angled sections of the sponge/pad works pretty well in the gaps. However, the pad only really lasts for about a couple of wheels, so you do go through them pretty quick.