PDA

View Full Version : Noise right after turning car off...

HIe34
12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Right after I turn the car off, I get this noise that sounds sort of like an electrical antenna going down. It's not constant like that though, it more like 3x with about a second or two in between. It seems to be coming from within the instrument panel.

No A/C running, defroster, etc. Any ideas?

Morgenster
12-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Is the noise not there when the engine is running?
Could just be the heater valves opening and shutting if your heating isn't full on or off.

HIe34
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Is the noise not there when the engine is running?
Could just be the heater valves opening and shutting if your heating isn't full on or off.

Hard to tell if it is there when the car is on (my car is kinda loud), I don't think so though. I don't think it's the heater valves because my heater doesn't work :(

CharlesAFerg
12-29-2006, 04:09 PM
lol yeah, sounds like the usual, it's kinda loud isn't it...
"nee nrrrrrrrrr nee nrrrrrrrr nee nrrrrrr"
so annoying...

I get something similar as well except it's when I turn to position 1 or 2 (I forget) but before I turn the car on and it sounds similar, but kind of a fast grinding buzz.

HIe34
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
so annoying...

I get something similar as well except it's when I turn to position 1 or 2 (I forget) but before I turn the car on and it sounds similar, but kind of a fast grinding buzz.

I'm not too worried, more curious I guess.

Milkboot
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM
You know, I have had the same thing with my car since i got it, but i always forget about it until i hear it again. [Somtimes my seats squeak alot when getting out so i dont hear it] Mine sound is kind of soft, like there is a motor of some sorts with a gear on it, trying to move but backs off and then tries again, it dosnt last more then 10 seconds with me, I thought it was just some otehr part of the car doing its thing :P

No ill effects with the sound that i know of yet, I am going under my dash again to replace my Fan blower resister this weekend maybe i can have a look and let ya know what i see/hear

Dukes
12-29-2006, 04:37 PM
so annoying...

I know that sound! Someone please tell us what it ts.

pundit
12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
The noise you're hearing is the wiper arm pressure adjusting device.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/b/i/19.png
Item no.4 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=61_0831&hg=61&fg=45).

It is a motor independent of the wiper motor that increases the wiper arm pressure against the screen to prevent the wiper arms from lifting off the screen at high road speeds. It's a whirring motorized noise that appears to emanate from behind the instrument cluster.
It usually begins within 30 secs of start up and also occurs again just after shutting the engine off.
The noise lasts about 5 to 10 secs and is quite loud.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-29-2006, 05:03 PM
the motors resest for a few seconds after you shut down.

You probably didn't notice it unitl you got the AC fixed and ran the system.

HIe34
12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
The noise you're hearing is the wiper arm pressure adjusting device.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/b/i/19.png
Item no.4 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=61_0831&hg=61&fg=45).

It is a motor independent of the wiper motor that increases the wiper arm pressure against the screen to prevent the wiper arms from lifting off the screen at high road speeds. It's a whirring motorized noise that appears to emanate from behind the instrument cluster.
It usually begins within 30 secs of start up and also occurs again just after shutting the engine off.
The noise lasts about 5 to 10 secs and is quite loud.

Once again, another mystery solved on this board. One less thing to worry about.

HIe34
12-29-2006, 05:05 PM

During the drive time before shutting down.

HIe34
12-29-2006, 05:06 PM

You probably didn't notice it unitl you got the AC fixed and ran the system.

Went to waste another lunch hour working on my car but even the shade trees couldn't protect me from all of this rain!

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
During the drive time before shutting down.

Buzzzt buzzt Buzzt and then it stops

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I've been trying to get a safety inspection, buy all my sleazy shops are flaking out on me. Either been revoked, closed down or not at work...

HIe34
12-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been trying to get a safety inspection, buy all my sleazy shops are flaking out on me. Either been revoked, closed down or not at work...

Not only does he just slap the sticker on, he's got flat panel TVs in the back of the shop tuned into the Playboy Channel.

His business card has the Rolling Stones logo on it. Pretty cool guy and does a lot of work on BMWs

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Not only does he just slap the sticker on, he's got flat panel TVs in the back of the shop tuned into the Playboy Channel.

His business card has the Rolling Stones logo on it. Pretty cool guy and does a lot of work on BMWs

I need to get a sticker for December

HIe34
12-29-2006, 05:26 PM
I need to get a sticker for December

He's over off of Waikamilo behind the Chevron Station.