PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine when no Throttle

Macv
12-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I keep thinking this has been answered before but I can't find it. I've searched everything from "Check Engine Throttle" to "Coast Engine Light."

Anyhow, driving at a slower speed ~40mph, (though it may happen at other speeds, I only noticed it at this speed) whenever I left off the gas to slow/stop and start coasting, I get the Check Engine light. It happens right around the 800 rpm mark. It goes away if I apply some brake or more throttle.

Anyone know why this happens?

EDIT: I don't get power surges or anything, just the light, everything else continues working fine.

winfred
12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
do the stomp test and see what codes are stored, they may point to something

CharlesAFerg
12-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I had this, I needed a new throttle body...

I had the problem at higher speeds though, or if i was going fast and let off the gas after about 3 seconds it would come on. It was aprt of my idle problem.

Although it went away the same way you get yours to go away, gas or w/e.

markus
12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
my car is doint this as well. the stomp test doesnt work on my car so let us know if u find anything. does it seem to do it more coasting downhill? I have noticed that.

winfred
12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
it may be something like a dead tps if you can't do a stomp test (assuming you are doing it right, as soon as you turn the key on stomp the gas to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds of turning the key on, some cars are a little tricky) get the codes read and see what it's bitching about

my car is doint this as well. the stomp test doesnt work on my car so let us know if u find anything. does it seem to do it more coasting downhill? I have noticed that.

Macv
12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
So is this something that has been covered before? I could have sworn I remembered this being a previous problem.

CharlesAFerg
12-29-2006, 11:48 PM
So is this something that has been covered before? I could have sworn I remembered this being a previous problem.

Yeah and yea, NEW THROTTLE BODY fixed it right up, you even notice it when rolling down the street and you let off the gas, there seems to be more resistance... Also, I tweaked the mixture a bit.

markus
12-30-2006, 12:15 AM
new throttle body? dont forget we have M60s.

Macv
12-30-2006, 10:12 AM
there seems to be more resistance...

I have no extra resistance, just the light. As I said, there's no noise or performance errors.

BillionPa
12-31-2006, 03:57 AM
it happens when the engine cuts fuel and the vacuum is strong enough to suck extra air in, throwing a "lean mix" code.

if your idle is fine, and you have no performance issues or excessive fuel consumption, etc, you can pretty much just ingore it.

markus
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
what is the leading cause of this my car has a really funky idle. im thinking intake gaskets.

Johntee540
12-31-2006, 12:04 PM
That was my first thought.......

Macv
12-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I did stomp test and got a short light with a long pause, then a long light with a long pause. I can't find what that means, but since nothing is going wrong (yet) I'm oging to leave it.

632 Regal
12-31-2006, 01:48 PM
clean your ICV first, mine was all gunked up and couldnt turn freely, took half a can of brake clean, lots of gummy stuff in there.
what is the leading cause of this my car has a really funky idle. im thinking intake gaskets.