PDA

View Full Version : Car not heating up enough

CrimsonBrian
12-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a problem that I didn't see addressed in any thread I could find so far (probably because I didnt know how to phrase it). Anyway, out here in the MA cold, my car doesnt seem to want to heat up beyond the 1/4 thermostat mark when I am running the heater. If I leave the heater off, it will go right up to the half mark and stay pegged there. If I turn on the heat then, the needle stays put. But if I turn on the heat when the car starts, the engine and the air coming from the vents never gets very warm. I dont imagine this is a huge issue, although it is tough when it is like 20 degrees out and I am freezing inside my car. Thoughts? Thanks!

Brian

Dr. evil
12-29-2006, 01:47 PM
get a new thermostat for the M50

SnakeyesTx
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, sounds like the thermostat. They're HUGE and the spring is massive. They usually break on the body where the where the tangs meet the flange. It's probably jacked open from the break. Cheap and easy fix.

Don't forget to pull the bleeder screw from the radiator when you refill the coolant :D

bigtisas
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Thermostat on M50 breaks often. I have to replace mine again. Just ordered one for US$19. Last one lasted only 2-3 years.

CrimsonBrian
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Awesome, I'll give that a whirl and let you know what happens. Thanks so much guys!

mohsinkhalid
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
There are several mechanical flaps in the heating system, which is what the knobs and levers move. One or more of the flaps may have become jammed or disconnected.

BMWCCA1
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Might want to consider having a new thermostat housing on hand since the plastic doesn't like being handled. Mine has the metal replacement but I'm not sure where to get those these days.

BennyM
02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Make sure you:
1. Get the right thermostat for your climate. ---I got the one for warmer climates and now, on very cold days here, the engine temp will actually drop while idleing.
2. Don't over torque the bolts on the thermostat housing. --if you do, the gasket will squish and you'll get a coolant leak..

BMW4LIFE
02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
get a new thermostat for the M50

Agree!