PDA

View Full Version : Handling improvement suggestions

rickm
12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
It's upgrade time on the e34 and I'd like to change the suspension a bit. What's the best suspension mod I can do that doesn't require me to lower the car? I travel down a fairly bumpy 2 mile road 3 + times per week to get to where our horses are at and would rather not bottom out.

I was thinking of installing one of the swaybar kits from either BavAuto or the original BMW one shown at bruno's site.

Mr Project
12-29-2006, 09:26 AM
M5T swaybars made a HUGE difference on my stock 535i suspension, and it had blown rear shocks at the time. I think swaybars, replacing worn bushings, and some good quality shocks (Koni's if your budget allows) will make a tremendous difference even on the stock springs.

BigKriss
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah, new stock height springs, new shock absorbers and some larger swaybars. Your choice of equipment.

rickm
12-29-2006, 10:42 AM
I'll go with the M5T stuff on Bruno's. Looks like the cheapest route.

I should drive the 'burb there but that thing needs it's own tanker truck driving behind it.

Robin-535im
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I'll go with the M5T stuff on Bruno's. Looks like the cheapest route.

I should drive the 'burb there but that thing needs it's own tanker truck driving behind it.
Hi Rick,

I hear that the mtech springs don't lower the car too much but are great for handling. Stay away from Bav Auto/Racing Dynamics for sure - low and soft/low and stiff respectively.

Sways are real easy since they just bolt on and make it corner better, but you'll also love stiffer springs and matched shocks. If I were you I'd shoot for mtech springs and the stiffest adjustable sways you can find and match them with some Koni's. May be a few bucks more, but it's worth getting good stuff and you'll be able to adjust the Koni's & sways to your taste. I've got the RD sways and they're great.

Brandon J
12-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I would say the swaybars are a good start and as mentioned replacing worn parts.

However, I would highly suggest to ride in other e34s with some modifications. It is the single best way to learn how different suspensions ride.

I understand what you want to do and if you are planning on keeping 15in or 16in wheels, there are many slighlty sportier suspension set-ups that give a great compliant ride without the harshness. If you want the totally stock, but with slightly sportier option for times when you want to take turns, I would suggest swaybars, Bilstein touring shocks, optional: M-tech springs with thick spring pads, 16in wheels.

Good Luck with your decision.