PDA

View Full Version : top shock mounts

nizmainiac
12-28-2006, 03:29 PM
is there any difference between 525 and m5 ones? ie the diameter of the hole in the middle where the shock bolts up? thanks in advance guys, rob

nizmainiac
12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
bump, anybody?

markus
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
i doubt it

632 Regal
12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
yes I think the holes are smaller on the 525. most shocks have a little sleeve so it will fit both applications...at least the Bilshits and the new Boges did.

nizmainiac
12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
thanks jeff, the problem i have is that i bought a jamex kit off ebay that was listed as 525 through to m5 in july of this year, everything else went fine until it came to the top strut mounts, and they wouldn't fit because the shock rod was too big to fit through the hole , so now i'm just trying to figure a way out of this, i just hope that the rears top mounts are the same size , as i've not had a look yet, i've also got to get bumpstops for the front as the ones that were on there fell to bits when i stripped the front end to put the new inserts in

Felixdacat
12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
The stock strut shafts have a 19mm nut. The new ones you have are a 22mm nut. The shaft on the new ones is bigger. I found this out the hard way. The rears fit perfect, no problems. I have not currently found a strut mount that will fit the new larger shaft. So what I did was drill out the sleeve, which is also part of the bearing. I made it fit reeeaaalll snug, and now I am having to replace my fronts. Did not last long... 6 or 7 months.
DO NOT DO THIS. learn from my mistake. It will destroy the bearing in the mount over time.

thanks jeff, the problem i have is that i bought a jamex kit off ebay that was listed as 525 through to m5 in july of this year, everything else went fine until it came to the top strut mounts, and they wouldn't fit because the shock rod was too big to fit through the hole , so now i'm just trying to figure a way out of this, i just hope that the rears top mounts are the same size , as i've not had a look yet, i've also got to get bumpstops for the front as the ones that were on there fell to bits when i stripped the front end to put the new inserts in

nizmainiac
12-29-2006, 06:05 AM
i did think about drilling out the sleeve but decided against it in the end because of how much it would be weakend

632 Regal
12-29-2006, 06:59 AM
get new boges for a 525 and pop em in?

nizmainiac
12-29-2006, 08:15 AM
i emailed the place i bought them from last night, and got the reply that they are for cars between 1990 and 1995, so i'm goig to see if they'll swap the inserts for the right ones, although on the listing it didn't say what year they were for

nizmainiac
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
does anyone know if the top strut mounts from a 91-95 will fit on my 89 525 without any problems