PDA

View Full Version : Weatherstrip replacement - anyone done?

scott 4991
12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I have ordered new weatherstrip for the drivers and passenger sides. I'm not clear on how to remove the old weatherstrip as it seems connected to the tan trim inside the car. I know the new weatherstrip comes with the tan trim also, so it's one 'part', but not sure how to remove the tan trim - maybe someone has done this.

thanks

sc

632 Regal
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
just pull it off, both the rubber and material are 1 piece

CharlesAFerg
12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Mine is falling off, adhesive suggestion?

Also, I heard something about glycerine to help hydrate the seals, but I can't find the post... Is it recommended or will it only complicate things?

BillionPa
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
to remove, just pull off.
reinstallation however......
you need to align the part where the seal joins at the bottom, then press it in, and start pushing really hard around the sides to get it all on. in the corners you will really need to press your entire body into it. do not be afraid of hitting it with your fist to get it pressed in all the way. i ended up doing only one side a week to prevent bruising to my hand.

be careful not to let the fabric touch the greased part of the door, as it doesnt want to come off once you get it dirty.

glycerine in small amounts will help keep the rubber part of the seals from disintegrating, especially in climates with wide varieties in temp.

gummi pflege is glycerine plus rubber conditioners and will do a better, longer lasting job.

be sure to wax the INSIDE painted parts of the door that come into contact with the seal, it will help keep them clean and from sticking to the seal over time.

scott 4991
12-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks, I'l be trying tomorrow

sc

CharlesAFerg
12-29-2006, 12:08 AM
what was that adhesive, was it 3m weatherstip adhesive?

scott 4991
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, just installed the passenger side weather-strip - not so bad. Used a rubber mallet and a 3" dia dowel for the corners - worked well. It's not perfect, but close - and I'll work on a little tomorrow.

sc

RussC
12-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Guys,
I didn't see at RealOEM where the colored weather strip was? My cars build sheet has 0292/L/0550 SILBER. I pressume the correct color is code 0292 "SILVER". Do I just call the dealer with that info for the door seals?

Thanks,
RussC

scott 4991
12-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Call BMA, they have whay you need. I have done my 2 front doors now and it was not to bad - the last, drivers side, took about 30 min and came out nice.

sc