PDA

View Full Version : :: Brake Fluid + Paint

Qube
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
:: Brake Fluid + Paint

Just much time does one have to get DOT3/4 brake fluid off painted body panels before very costly damage sets in?

This sounds cool, but doesn't answer my question...

"CAUTION: Keep the brake fluid away from powdered pool chlorine. When mixed, it will spontaneously combust after about 30 seconds."

Mr Project
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
seconds. Maybe less. Wax and other protectants might help, but brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper on otherwise-unprotected engine compartment paint especially.

Qube
12-27-2006, 11:34 PM
seconds. Maybe less. Wax and other protectants might help, but brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper on otherwise-unprotected engine compartment paint especially.

Let's say it's metallic and we have a clearcoat. How much time you figure? With solids like my white, it would be bubbly runny in no time I figure...

BillionPa
12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
im gonna go test

BillionPa
12-28-2006, 12:43 AM
ok, tested both old and new superblue dot4 on unxwaxed calypsorot.

removed after 30s and 60s with crc non chlorinated brake cleaner and a paper towel.

no visible effects, and no red transfer to the paper towel.

O_O

maybe other brands are more corrosive?

Qube
12-28-2006, 12:55 AM
ok, tested both old and new superblue dot4 on unxwaxed calypsorot.

removed after 30s and 60s with crc non chlorinated brake cleaner and a paper towel.

no visible effects, and no red transfer to the paper towel.

O_O

maybe other brands are more corrosive?

Where the heck did you test it? :) Thanks much though. I have a few tins of Superblue DOT4 and was wondering... without destroying anyone's car in particular. I wonder if the whole brake fluid thing is overhyped with today's paint technologies... though my paint is in the teens. The outside (non-underhood) paint probably has a good layer of ozone/weathered crap protecting it now.

BillionPa
12-28-2006, 12:59 AM
i tested it on my old metal grill frame, which has been sitting in the basement for a year doing nothing productive.

tested on the front and the bottom, just to make sure about the wax thing.

Kalevera
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Just saturate it with water, brake cleaner is probably more harmful to the paint in the short term than brake fluid.

Qube
12-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Just saturate it with water, brake cleaner is probably more harmful to the paint in the short term than brake fluid.

I THOUGHT there couldn't be an overnight "3 Grand Master" slipping past me. Took me a while to find it was you... without your classic tag... "best whit" :) What's with the new name?

632 Regal
12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
how can he change his userame and keep his post count?
I THOUGHT there couldn't be an overnight "3 Grand Master" slipping past me. Took me a while to find it was you... without your classic tag... "best whit" :) What's with the new name?

Qube
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
how can he change his userame and keep his post count?

He sleeps with the right people ;)

632 Regal
12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
looked into this, the Administrater (Ed) can add a new person and then put a specific post count...I just aint gots no 'thority.