PDA

View Full Version : Source for E34 SWORD, front suspension kit, O2 sensor?

Podmore
12-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi all, just bought a 1988 E34 535i with 165,000 km on the clock and a few admitted problems - I always like to have a project on the go! The standard front end shimmy (yep, all the bushes and ball joints are tired) and worn tyres, intermittent speedo (diff sender unit?), intermittent airconditioning (final stage/sword problem), lousy fuel economy (15 - 20 litres/100km!!) and a dodgy auto (or is it supposed to stay in 3rd in "S" mode and not find top?). Other than that, a fine car! Still has the original tool kit (no grease on any of the tools!) and the first aid kit is still sealed in the original plastic ...
Now, does anybody know where I can get a reco a/c "sword" (found one on ebay in the US but the seller hasn't yet got back to me to tell me whether he will ship to Oz.) Adelaide doesn't seem to have one.
Any advice on the merits of an FPC Groton suspension kit (all the front and rear bits) vs Vines Automotive kit (front bits only)?
Any conclusive advice on fuel economy? What should I expect? My first thoughts are O2 sensor, plugs, leads, then injectors ..... it just doesn't pull like I reckon it ought to.
Great forum, I've been enjoying browsing through it -

shogun
12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Forget FC Groton parts. If you use the search with that, you can read a lot.
Buy either Lemfoerder or Meyle parts
Reman sword you can buy from
www.rockauto.com
and other parts from www.autohausaz.com
If you have a press, just buy Meyle HD bushings.

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-REBUILT-SWORD-E32-E34-2-YEAR-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33546QQihZ018Q QitemZ280062250843QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sword.

No affiliation, I just happen to be looking. Although I have bought one from this source before and it's been working in my car for about 2 years now.

Why was I looking? Cause I've a friend which needs one. But they have a 1992 535 which does not use the sword, supposably.

Zeuk in Oz
12-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Hi all, just bought a 1988 E34 535i with 165,000 km on the clock and a few admitted problems - I always like to have a project on the go! The standard front end shimmy (yep, all the bushes and ball joints are tired) and worn tyres, intermittent speedo (diff sender unit?), intermittent airconditioning (final stage/sword problem), lousy fuel economy (15 - 20 litres/100km!!) and a dodgy auto (or is it supposed to stay in 3rd in "S" mode and not find top?). Other than that, a fine car! Still has the original tool kit (no grease on any of the tools!) and the first aid kit is still sealed in the original plastic ...
Now, does anybody know where I can get a reco a/c "sword" (found one on ebay in the US but the seller hasn't yet got back to me to tell me whether he will ship to Oz.) Adelaide doesn't seem to have one.
Any advice on the merits of an FPC Groton suspension kit (all the front and rear bits) vs Vines Automotive kit (front bits only)?
Any conclusive advice on fuel economy? What should I expect? My first thoughts are O2 sensor, plugs, leads, then injectors ..... it just doesn't pull like I reckon it ought to.
Great forum, I've been enjoying browsing through it -
Pundit described a sword fix - you should be able to find it in the archives - just be aware that it is a pig of a job due to the sword being on the same side as the pedals in RHD cars - even worse with a manual car.

Here is the link to the repair : http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/91956

Good luck.

As far as the front end components are concerned, I would suggest Lemfoerder components from BMA ( www.bmaparts.com) . The same with the O2 sensor.

I usually ring Patrick on a Friday morning, our time, and have the components I need by courier on Tuesday, at massively cheaper prices than in Oz - front end components are about a third of the price you would pay at a stealer and O2 sensors (Bosch) are about a quarter of the price. Remember to mention this forum and you get an extra discount as well. :)

That includes paying USPS 4 day freight to Oz.

Absolutely wonderful service - despite Jeff's recent thread to the contrary. :D

shogun
12-28-2006, 01:54 AM
sword repair instructions
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22598&highlight=sword+fix