PDA

View Full Version : Trans program fault

Paulandjen
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I have had this fault before and am blowed if I can remember how we fixed this. Car will not start. Computer is showing Trans Programme but will not give us a fault code. Battery ok possibly a bit low. Car used daily and has been going well. We reversed the car yesterday for a few yards to allow someone to exit my garage and this morning it will not start. The last time we had this fault a couple of years ago we had also reversed the car a few yards prior to the fault. Someone told us that BM's do not like this manouver. Car is an automatic 525i tourer. Gear indicator is showing correct gear position when moved. Is there someone who has experienced this and is it something to do with the hydraulics. Please help

Brazilianbimmer
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Any codes stored in the OBC? Also, Dumb question... Did you put it in Park again to try to start it?

Paulandjen
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Any codes stored in the OBC? Also, Dumb question... Did you put it in Park again to try to start it?

Thanks for answering .

Yes it was put back in park. Paul is just checing OBC code now

Kalevera
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Faulty neutral position switch? Meaning, the car thinks it's in reverse and won't start on principle?

If the car has a digital dash display of the transmission program/gear, does it show AP (or EP) when trying to start the car?

First be sure the battery is good, though.

Paulandjen
12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Spare battery is on charge! Have tried to bring up OBC codes but will not show any. Have looked at gears and transmission display shows neutral park etc. Will look at possible faulty switch .Unfortunately it is late dark cold and raining hard and we have an early start so will have to wait until tomorrow pm. Had this happen before when we moved car in reverse for only a few yards tried everything to fix it and a few days later it just started. Someone said BMs do not like being driven backwards for short spells. We now have a hammering noise coming from starter motor so will leave until tomorrow. Thanks for the hel. will post what we did when we fix it

bigtisas
12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I got the trans program and RSD Regelt messages several times a couple days ago. But the car seems to run normally. No idea why.

BillionPa
12-27-2006, 06:33 PM
i see no reason why they wouldnt like being moved backwards for short distances, i do it all the time.

Russell
12-27-2006, 06:41 PM
fill out your profile. what year is your car and what country would be helpful. That said, mine gave the trans program a couple of years ago, in warm weather, when i backed it down the drive, parked it on the street, pulled it into the drive, parked it and then went to move it back down the drive and then Trans program. All within a matter of hours. Has not happened since. In my case, the car did start. Someonece said, neutral switch. My thought as well.