PDA

View Full Version : Lower door trim replacement woes...

ILoveMPower
12-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I just CANNOT get the ****ing thing to sit flush. When I purchased the piece (driver door) from bavauto, they said I needed clips and grommets, but I'm not seeing any place for these to go... I'm assuming they're for some other trim.

If anyone has a pic of how this thing is supposed to slide on there and stay, please let me know... I've been staring at the passenger side for almost an hour trying to figure out why the driver will not sit flush.

And I thought this would be a quick and easy fix :p

nizmainiac
12-27-2006, 01:20 PM
when i did mine not too long ago, i started from the top with the window fully open, you sort of push down and sqeeze at the same time and the top part should go in, the bottom half should follow, but don't forget the clips move around in the cards a bit so make sure they're lined up with the holes in the doors before you tap them in with your hand otherwise you'll end up with a load of busted clips, hope this helps

ILoveMPower
12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
when i did mine not too long ago, i started from the top with the window fully open, you sort of push down and sqeeze at the same time and the top part should go in, the bottom half should follow, but don't forget the clips move around in the cards a bit so make sure they're lined up with the holes in the doors before you tap them in with your hand otherwise you'll end up with a load of busted clips, hope this helps

Eh, I'm refering to the lower door trim on the exterior of the car/bottom of the door.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/jmking/trim.jpg

nizmainiac
12-27-2006, 01:26 PM
sorry, i thought you mean't inside:p iv'e done some paintwork on e34's in the past but never had to take them off , i've always masked them

t_marat
12-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Eh, I'm refering to the lower door trim on the exterior of the car/bottom of the door.

Nice car! Love those wheels!

Qube
12-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Search for the M-Tech skirt install... I think lowell did the writeup.

Qube
12-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Got it... http://www.bmw4life.com/mTechSkirts.htm

See if it helps.

632 Regal
12-27-2006, 01:49 PM
you have to press it on there. duh...lol

I started by trying to make sure it was centered, then forced the rear part up onto the seam/lip deal and pounded the damn thing on all the way to the front. had to go and pound it some more...and more and it finally is on there. talk about an interferance fit huh? my hand was pretty beat up after.

ILoveMPower
12-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Got it... http://www.bmw4life.com/mTechSkirts.htm

See if it helps.

Hmm, thanks, doesn't delve much into the reinstall of the trim... and mine is STILL sticking out like a mother****er =\

repenttokyo
12-27-2006, 02:04 PM

what kind of wheels are those, if you don't mind me asking?

Rus
12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I installed mine by doing the following:

1) Place the trim on the door and align it properly.
2) Angle the trim bottom edge toward yourself and push up.
3) Rotate the bottom edge back into its normal position. This should snap the trim into place on the door.

You can it a small section at a time. Take a look at the shape of the channel inside the trim piece and you'll see why you need to angle it a bit to get it to snap into place. HTH

Kalevera
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
The M tech trims are more work to install than the regular black strips.

It takes a lot of manhandling to get them on. What I do these days is grease up the lower edge of the door, silicon spray will also do the trick, then fully or partially remove the end of the trim (it can be pressed back into place once the trim is on the door), and walk the trim on from the outward edge. You will find that the trim will slide on (again, it needs a little effort).

The black ones are much easier as they have some flexibility in them, and you can walk the edge of the door into the trim without removing the end.

ILoveMPower
12-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I got it to slide on there properly, but I believe the rotting old one that started to bow out slightly bent the bottom lip on the door

At the rear side of the driver side door its now totally flush, but about halfway across it starts bowing out and leaves about a 1/8-1/4" gap at the very front of the door. I suppose I'm going to grab a 2x4 or something and bang it with a hammer a few times to try and get it flush.

632 Regal
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
lol...if the door is spread from rust thats the prob, if not you didnt beat your hand up enough to get it installed all the ways yet.

I got it to slide on there properly, but I believe the rotting old one that started to bow out slightly bent the bottom lip on the door

At the rear side of the driver side door its now totally flush, but about halfway across it starts bowing out and leaves about a 1/8-1/4" gap at the very front of the door. I suppose I'm going to grab a 2x4 or something and bang it with a hammer a few times to try and get it flush.

ILoveMPower
12-28-2006, 12:40 AM
lol...if the door is spread from rust thats the prob, if not you didnt beat your hand up enough to get it installed all the ways yet.

lol, no its not spread, the original trim piece was ultra spread and i think it tweaked the edge of the door a bit which is why i'm having such trouble getting it to sit flush

632 Regal
12-28-2006, 11:55 AM
bring it over and I'll fix it.
lol, no its not spread, the original trim piece was ultra spread and i think it tweaked the edge of the door a bit which is why i'm having such trouble getting it to sit flush