PDA

View Full Version : anybody know what the acceptable play meas. are for ball joints....

ryan roopnarine
04-21-2004, 07:26 PM
namely the thrust arms. began my mini-quest to "restore" an arm without having to throw it in the garbage, and i'd like to know how much movement is acceptable. the closest i've found is a state roadworthiness testing PDF that gives 5 series up to 1988 a max play of .030, and three series (E36) of .050. thanks.

632 Regal
04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
namely the thrust arms. began my mini-quest to "restore" an arm without having to throw it in the garbage, and i'd like to know how much movement is acceptable. the closest i've found is a state roadworthiness testing PDF that gives 5 series up to 1988 a max play of .030, and three series (E36) of .050. thanks.

NoSpeedLimits
04-21-2004, 07:35 PM
No offense, but why go thru the trouble? Just curious...I too am sitting on a used set, actually, they are sitting next to the garbage can...haven't been able to toss them yet...especially since the price of steel is going through the roof. :) probably could get a few pennys... All kidding aside, if you determine that it can be done, I'd be interested in knowing how much it cost you to restore them...and let us know how much fun you had doing it (ie. time and beers). ;)

ryan roopnarine
04-21-2004, 07:42 PM
its not so much that the distance matters right now, i'd just like to have the figure. oh, and about your estimation....i measured both. L has .035, R has .055, so one of them might "technically" be in wear OK range......i can just imagine the guffaws im going to get when i post the pic to the board of them restored with zerks :)