PDA

View Full Version : Fix for CEL1222 (540 V8 engine)

shogun
12-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Thought I should copy this info for further reference:

I've posted a few notes about a CEL 1222 which has been popping up the past 2 years when weather drops below 40oF at night here in Houston.

After checking all of the obvious sources (O2 sensors, MAF, ICV, vacuum leaks, inlet air boot and connections) and resetting the DME many times, we replaced the intake manifold endcover gaskets and the intake manifold-to-head gaskets. Replaced the endcover with the NRV as well. Problem solved.

The local independent garage says that these gaskets fail between 50 and 60,000 miles, and my 540i exhibited the classic symptoms. These gaskets had 54,000 miles on them when the problem became chronic (first change at 50,000 miles with the new Alusil block).

Also replaced the 4 KNOCK sensors while that far into the engine. They were working OK, but inspection upon removal of the intake manifold revealed that all 4 had broken outer plastic covers, and were oil soaked. Just a matter of time before one or more failed....

I hope that this posting helps someone who may be chasing a similar problem. It can be frustrating.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance and comments in the past.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy 2007

Marc Sassos
1994 540i

632 Regal
12-27-2006, 01:12 AM
this should be a sticky from November till march.