PDA

View Full Version : pricing questions on shocks and springs

markus
12-26-2006, 11:51 PM
hey fellas. hope everyone had a good christmas.

anyways heres my question. where would be the best place to buy a set of bilstein sports from? I had to give steve haygood a call today and ask him where my M tec filler plate and euro front plate were. He said they were still being shipped from BMW in germany, I guess theyre pretty hard to come by.

Anyways I asked him how much he could get me the bilstein sports for. So he called me back and said $435 shipped to my door as well as $89 for the front strut mounts a piece and $22 a piece for the rear shock mounts.

is $435 a good deal? the cheapest before that was from bav auto for $439 with free shipping since it was over $200. also where would the cheapest place for eibach pro kit springs be? The cheapest I have seen was tirerack at $232 for the set.

Now I have noticed on ebay you can get the bilstein sport shocks with vogtland springs for $550. I have heard these springs sag over time and I dont wish for this.

632 Regal
12-27-2006, 12:07 AM
most springs settle after time. The voghtlands are lower from the start.

Gledhill
12-27-2006, 12:25 AM
What are the specs on those springs. I had two in the truck of my car when I shipped the car in from Japan. If you can tell me the specs I will take a look and see if they are what your looking for. I only have two though. I don't know what they are worth I was just going to throw them on e-bay.

pundit
12-27-2006, 05:11 AM
From what I've seen the Vogtlands tend to wind up looking a bit too low IMO.

I have Eibach Prokits fitted to my E34 and they lower it perfectly to the point where it looks just right.

Apart from clearance and ride issues an E34 can end up looking 'pimped' if it's lowered too much.

I also fitted Koni Sports which seem to give a decent ride/handling mix along with the Eibachs.

As far as the Bilsteins are concerned they tend to get mixed reviews from those who have them... harsh ride complaints appear to be the most common.

As for the Konis, very few postings complaining about harsh ride.

Granted increase the spring rates and shocker dampening and you will lose some ride comfort but the Koni/Eibach combo seem to do it better than most.
Just my 2c! :)