PDA

View Full Version : Intake modification

wengenstein
04-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hello all, I drive an e34 540i 6sp...and for my next mod I was considering the possibility of getting a cold (cool) air intake. However, the more I read about changing the intake on an e34 the more discouraged I've become. I've read a number of claims that replacing the stock airbox will actually result in less hp...does anyone have any experience with this? It doesn't sound like any intake modification short of a supercharger would really make much of a difference on an e34..what do you all think?

This is my first post by the way.. :D

MBXB
04-21-2004, 04:18 PM
I had also considered doing that mod till I read Bruno's site closely.
I'll stick with the stock cold air induction system.

wengenstein
04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
What about the Dinan high flow induction tube? Anyone know what kind of performance gain that would give you, if any? The regular airbox remains intact so it can only be good right? :)

AllanS
04-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I'd suspect that, if done properly, some gains could be achieved. You'd need a real filter element like an ITG one, as opposed to K&N trash, and you'd need some way to keep it away from underhood heat. I would look at what Eurosport http://www.sharkinfested.com did with their cold air kits. Also, Winfred from this forum made his own and it looks pretty nice. He posted a pic on this forum somewhere, you'd have to search for it.

califblue
04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
some people equate increased noise to = more HP. and if you read Bruno's site you will find the opposite is true. One point to consider...do you think that any one company has spend the time and money that BMW RD department has?. my .02

P.S. just remove the velocity stack on the stock one and see what I mean