PDA

View Full Version : Radio wire harness clip

bbig119
12-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Shortly after buying my car, I busted the clip that locks the factory radio wire harness to the radio. Ever since, the cd signal is scratchy and gets worse when going over a bumps. This all makes sense, but I'm fed up with it and want to fix it.

I took a look at realoem and wasn't able to find this clip, so I'm curious if someone knows a part number, or even if its available to buy. If not, maybe someone has an extra that I'd be happy to buy off you. Otherwise I'll try some creative solutions-- which I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks

Bryan

Kalevera
12-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Well, the most difficult part of the job in replacing the connector is that all of the pins have to be removed, which typically requires a special tool (but shogun/Erich has a method to build one from an old BIC pen or something). Taking apart the connectors without the tools is not fun.

To my knowledge, you can't buy the harness connector alone. What you can buy is the early to late radio harness conversion, which has the connector in it and is cheaper than buying the whole radio harness (I think it's around $30 -- check ETK, in group 61 or 65, for the conversion harness).

I mean, the rasquachi fix is to get out the glue gun and glue it in place. Not elegant, but very cheap.

I'm pretty sure I can find and cut one from an old radio harness -- PM me if it comes down to that.

bbig119
12-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, the most difficult part of the job in replacing the connector is that all of the pins have to be removed, which typically requires a special tool (but shogun/Erich has a method to build one from an old BIC pen or something). Taking apart the connectors without the tools is not fun.

To my knowledge, you can't buy the harness connector alone. What you can buy is the early to late radio harness conversion, which has the connector in it and is cheaper than buying the whole radio harness (I think it's around $30 -- check ETK, in group 61 or 65, for the conversion harness).

I mean, the rasquachi fix is to get out the glue gun and glue it in place. Not elegant, but very cheap.

I'm pretty sure I can find and cut one from an old radio harness -- PM me if it comes down to that.

Thanks Whit,

Its been a while since I looked at the clip so I can't recall exactly what it looks like or how it was held onto the harness. I do know that one of the side pieces that lock it to the radio broke such that it never fully held on the harness; I eventually removed it. If I remember correctly, I thought it seemed to me that I could just snap it onto the harness.....If not, hmm....well it may not be worth it to me to go through that much effort to get it working.

I'm not anxious to get an aftermarket radio, but this 14 year old system isn't worth too much money or time to get it working fully. I do like the in dash display though.